Author Topic: Dog fight - Human Surgery  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
Dog fight - Human Surgery
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »
This week has been beyond up and down .. I found a mass in my breast .. got into surgery last Wednesday, found it was non malignant WONDERFUL news but you can imagine I've been on pins and needles for almost 3 wks .. dogs know these things I know that.  Anyway, I'm at home since Wednesday and just running a bit slow, I've not had the dogs out exercising and snow started in last night about 4 pm.  Emmitt, the springer, has been just horrible all day, growling, grabbing all the toys, won't leave my side hardly, Cop, the cocker on pain meds is snoozing more, I guess because of the low pressure and the gas logs are cozy for her.  Sadie just seem restless and keeps wanting in and out the door.  Snow starts and it's Sadie's probably 10th trip in and Em had gone out also so I'm toweling them off everytime they come in and out .. needless to say I'm getting tired and sore so no doubt I'm cranky.  Sadie starts playing fighting with the towel I'm using to dry her off after I've finished drying off Em, and the absolute WORST fight between Emmitt and Sadie begins, I'm yelling and trying to drop the towel between them and Sadie (for the first time ever is not making her point and backing away)keeps lunging at Emmitt, Emmitt is going down.  Steve, my husband reacts (just as they say you shouldn't)  Results: .. his hands are mangled, literally mangled.  (I don't drive on snow - this is the worst snowfall we've had since the early 90's)  I called 911 and they sent an ambulance - I stayed home (we live way out in the country) because with the weather I knew I wouldn't be able to get anyone out to care for our animals .. Steve was in ER / surgery from about 6:30 pm until 1 am .. and just got home today at noon .. over 100 stitches in one hand and the surgeon doesn't think he'll regain sensation in his thumb.  I'm so upset - how many times have you heard and read if "I'd only read the signs", "I knew something was going to happen.",  Steve knew he did wrong by entering into the fray like he did but I've got to find a way to not allow this to happen again, these two dogs have to co exist or it's going to break my heart ..I am sick to my stomach - I thought they'd finally gotten their "order" right but I guess not and I need help quick - please, any suggestions?  Gaye
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Dog fight - Human Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:55:51 pm »
Oh my gosh, you have had a horrible week!   :( :o  I'm so sorry.  I don't have a lot of ideas regarding the problems between Emmitt & Sadie, b/c I haven't dealt with that here yet, but my best thought is to find a good behaviorist.

However, I have had an excisional biopsy before & I just wanted to sympathize and say that I'm relieved for you that the results were benign.  You will be in my prayers & I really hope that your husband's hands & the problems with the dogs will be ok soon.  I'm sure that someone on BPO will have some good advice for you regarding the dogs.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 05:35:19 pm »
my two boys are like that also. they will fight for order in the house.
We have them seperated 24/7. with baby gates. and they are only alowed out alone, (or with the girls). Some dogs CAN change this behaviour, some dont... Im sorry to hear what you are going through. I wish you the best.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:56:40 pm »
OMG what a horrible time you've had! The dog agression is scary stuff. I am unfamiliar with your pups history - they've had other issues with not getting along? I'd get a behaviorist in pronto to help sort it out. I am so, so sorry about your husband's hands. That is awful.

And, I also have had an excisional biopsy - just last November, in fact. It hurt like h*ll and I was a big mess through the whole process. My results, like yours, were great. What a terrifying rollercoaster it was, though.

All good thoughts and best of luck to you and your family. I hope you are able to sort out the pup problems. :-*
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:12:55 pm »
I will triple the thought of a behaviourist/trainer.  For now I would keep them separated.

As for your hubby; tell him to hang in there.  I used to work for a hand therapist, so I've seen what he's going through!!!  Stress to him to do exactly what the dr's say to do and not do, especially if tendons were involved.  They take awhile to heal and if you move them before you're suppose you may have to start all over!!!  Nerves are funny things too, they grow very slow (slower if you're a smoker) and feeling can come back but in its own time.  My mom just about cut off her thumb and she got all of the feeling back except in a very small section on the side.  Good luck to you both!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:58:44 pm »
Thank you for your responses everyone.  I'm in a small town but will start searching for a behaviorist ASAP, if anyone has used one would you direct me on questions to ask to be sure I'm getting what I need, costs kinda things, I know I'll have to pay mileage and if nothing else if I have to separate them I hope to get pointers on how to go about this by them visiting my home.  Steve's right hand is in a splint and he was directed to leave it on except when showering to keep it imobilized I guess .. I make an appt with the surgeon on Monday for Wednesday when I guess he'll tell us about PT.  Steve is a smoker but maybe this will help him decide to try to quit.  What a mess this is but as always .. this too shall pass.

HUGS to all of us that have been thru the cancer scare and healing thoughts to all that it wasn't just a scare.
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:15:23 am »
We had this happen after I had my appendix removed.  Baxter is My "protector"  always has been by my side.  He is also a Springer and is usually very mellow. 

Bell our Weim had just come out from the rian and I was drying her when she jumped up to give me kisses and Baxter lunged.  The fight went on and resulted in some of Bell's ear being bitten off. 

Luckily no one else was hurt.  I seperated them until I talked to my trainer and she told me about a behavorist. The behavorist told me that baxter was trying to protect me becuase he very much sensed everything that had happened. 

But that Bell was over him in the higher archy.  She yold us that the reason the fight was so bad was Bell took it as him trying to up his status and Baxter was just being protective. 

We had to start feeding Bell first, petting and even rewarding her first for awhile to reastablish that she was still above baxter and we have never had a problem since.  But I would definatley get a behavorist because your situation could be totally differnt then mine. Baxter knew he was below bell and still does yours mught still be figuring this out.

I hope everything turns out alright for you and your husband
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel