Author Topic: Weight Pulls and Dogs - Any Comments??  (Read 1444 times)

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Weight Pulls and Dogs - Any Comments??
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:19:59 pm »
We live in Alaska and everyone associates sled dogs with us.  I have 3 wonderful pups but in no way want to get into sledding - either sprint or distance due to $ and lack of land to house a true kennel.  We recently attended a weight pull in Anchorage and another smaller one this afternoon.  The people who were there were wonderfull and the pups seriously seemed to enjoy what was going on. All was safe and the dogs were treated absolutely wonderfully - lots of hugs and kisses after pulls - lots of positive and no negative.  The people involved were neat to talk with and very informative.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or information on the sport. We are "thinking" about trying it for fun next year with at least one of the malamutes.  They were too young for this season, but will be old enough for the next.  Any comments - pro or con - I like ot hear the good, the bad and the "ugly" if it exists prior to making any sort of commitment.

Thanks for any and all feedback!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Weight Pulls and Dogs - Any Comments??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:27:37 pm »
Hello!!! We are getting into weight pulling with our mastiff. We are new to the sport, but from what we are researching you need to always watch the knees, and elbows.  They make some great harnesses for weight puling, but from what i have found, the pitbull harness types work the best.  It is a bonding experience for you and the dog, and when in compitition you can only use your voice, so the dog has to be motivated. I was told to have him drag a tire around for a while, then 2 tires....and you keep moving up from there. (this is obviously weight pulling, not sleds) You could also do carting which i think (don't kill me) i think is easier to do carting first with them to get the hang of it...although i could be wrong..yet again...still learning!

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:35:53 pm »
Cool!  The woman and young man I spoke with today said the "sound" is what is the hardest for the dogs to get used to as the sled drags.  They also suggested the tires and even said its good to start younger with milk cartoons (gallon) with rocks in it so they don't flip about the sound.  At the pull in Anchorage we met a young man who makes custom harnesses so we will hook up withhim in the fall if we really opt into the sport.  Carting is not so big up here which is disappointing since it limits the season, but with my own schedule I think thats ok.  I am glad you feel it is a "bonding" experience since that is the feeling I got while watching.  They even said it is a great socialization activity.  Met a wonderful woman with Makenzie Rivers and one is extremely shy. He managed 3 pulls before quitting and she was just thrilled.  Even said it is fine if they just sit there without pulling in the beginning - which made me feel like while it is a competition - it is more for hte fun as opposed for the "title".  As you go through the process I hope you will share your thoughts -  THANKS for the reply!
Marianne and the MALS

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:44:02 pm »
if you google search weight pulling they have a lot of information... but.... i am sure you know...some is good and a lot is not! But that is the internet for you.  I would not start out with a gallon and rocks, just because of the noise could be terrifiying at first. cooler type container that you could put water in and drag. that noise would be a little quieter, and then work your way up.  And for the harnesses, make sure that it looks like a sled harness type...just make sure that the weight is being pulled by his chest (i think, still learning) verses his back...Also something that might help, bring to the chiropractor first to align the body and mind first.  Also to fix any issues that might be.  If you want...i would get xrays to see how the hips look and how the knees and elbows, so you don't have a hip in a shallow area. Also,,,, add suppliments and extra exercise..like a backpack on his back to help begin to strengthing the muscles.  there is a lot of conditioning before you do anything!!!

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 04:42:35 am »
Thanks again!  I love the water idea.  We are going very slow - my pups will only turn 1 next month so we have only played with the sled (plastic kid version with my daughter during Christmas break when we actually had snow (imagine - Alaska without substantial snow  :'()  I think we will do the backpack thing with the pups first and move up to a tire (we have a Dodge Neon that is getting new tires - small tires) and then to a larger one (Durango needs new studded tires so we will have an extra - with studs just about gone).  There is a gentleman who has St. Bernards up here that was willing to do some fun conditioning with us this summer as well.  Spring hiking is starting and with the pups turning 1 we can slowly do some work!

Thanks for all the words of wisdom - Good luck to you as well!
Marianne and the MALS