Author Topic: Potty Problems - any advice appreciated  (Read 3311 times)

Offline LoveMySydney

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Potty Problems - any advice appreciated
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:38:39 am »
I've had Sydney, my Australian Cattle Dog, for about three weeks now. I adopted her from the shelter. She's 7 months old.

Sydney is very smart and very sweet. I can't believe how attached I am to her already!

My problem seems to be that no matter how much I take her outside, she still pees and poops all over my house! I've been following this schedule:

Get up in the morning - take her outside.
Feed her.
Take her outside again.
Put her in her crate while I go to work.
Get home - take her outside.  Allow her free time outside of crate. 
Feed. Take outside several times as needed, with the last time being right before bed.

She still poops and pees all over the house! I can take her outside and not even an hour later, she is using the potty on my floor.

any ideas on how to fix this nasty little habit?  Thanks!
Owned by: Sydney (Australian Cattle Dog) and 6 cats (Cheeto, Shadow, FluffyCat, FancyFace, Repeat & Bubba)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Potty Problems - any advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:57:30 am »
Hi there and welcome to the board,  I'm Alex and my pups are in my signature.  ;) :)

Sydney is still a puppy, and I assume she came from a shelter or rescue?  She probably has never been properly house trained so just doesn't know where it's appropriate to go to the bathroom.  She should be taken out as often as possible, even if you don't think she should need to go.  When she does go outside give her LOTS of praise like ridiculous, high pitched SUPER DUPER animated voice, give her special treats that she ONLY gets when she goes potty outside.  Make sure when you take her out to use the same command, so that she will learn to associate that word with going outside to pee/poop.  When she has accidents inside, do not get angry with her, give her a sharp loud NO! then quickly take her outside to finish her business.  Good luck with your new baby girl, and I can't wait to see lots of pictures!!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 01:40:11 pm »
Gooooood poop!!! Good pee!!! I know my neighbors think I'm weird, but if I say go Poop, they usually poop

I think your neighbors must be a little weird for going poop everytime you say "go poop"  ;D ::) ;D

Offline Ida

• Gnawer
  • Great Dane Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:27 pm »
Hi! The only thing I would add is that I would not let her have free run of the house until she's housebroken.  Confining to a washable floor room like the kitchen is good.  Consistent taking out right after eating, napping, playing, first thing in AM and last thing before bedtime is essential.  Catching her going outside and the TONS of praise will have her catch on.  She's a smart breed.  Tethering her to you in the house is a good trick too.  You have to be the Housebreaking Hag for about a week and then you'rre home free!
Ida ;)

Offline LoveMySydney

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:45:21 am »
Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone!  I really do appreciate it.

We actually made it all night last night with no accidents in the house, so perhaps she's finally starting to understand that we go outside to poop and pee!

(I'm still laughing about the neighbors going to poop!)

Owned by: Sydney (Australian Cattle Dog) and 6 cats (Cheeto, Shadow, FluffyCat, FancyFace, Repeat & Bubba)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 11:13:43 am »
Let me start by saying what an adorable pooch :D

I would go back to basics...the crate,I would not give roam of the house until under control with the potty..the more she pees/poops inside the harder it will be to break her..If you go back to the crate idea you can reinterrate that potty is allowed outside,crate.. to outside..crate to outside..then slowly have roam of the house little bits at a time.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse