Author Topic: I need puppy 101 refresher!  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
I need puppy 101 refresher!
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:52:12 am »
Kai is roughly 12-13 weeks old, and is an Aussie/Dobie mix -both smart and easily trained breeds, as far as I understand.

1. whining in crate - ignore it, or say comforting things like shhhhh? If I say comforting things, am I reinforcing the whining?

2. potty training - is there an average length of time this should take? Tani was a sssssllllooooo wwwww learner, maybe because she was already about 6 months when we found her as a stray. Just wondering what to expect with "normal" puppy development.

3. Best way to teach Kai that my 2 year old is not her puppy brother? She grabs his hands and knees and pulls him down to the ground. He's all bruised up and less than thrilled! How do I teach Kai that my son isn't a puppy and still keep my son interested in being with her without fearing puppy attacks?

4. Is she too young to start learning commands like sit, etc? She seems to be really super bright, and is taking to potty training well. She knows her name, too, which I was suprised at. I thought it would take longer.

I'll post again if I think of anything else. I just want to do it right while she's young and easier to train! Thanks!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

lorim2

Re: I need puppy 101 refresher!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:28:56 pm »
I put both Marley and Laney in puppy basics at 10wks old.  Not only did they learn so easily but it was great social time for them as well.  Good Luck with Kai...She is a beautiful little girl!