Author Topic: golden retriever rotti cross  (Read 6816 times)

Offline jewels

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
golden retriever rotti cross
« on: August 01, 2005, 10:52:55 pm »
hi there i think that this board is very good and offers alot of support to people in need of some help..
i am a newbie to this .
i have always had  smaller dogs and about 4 months ago i got a bigger dog and i just love her to death...her name is mandi and she is just wonderful..i have a 7 year old boy who uses her as a pillow and lays all over her...
but i am in need of some help in finding away to get her to stop chewing..if you have any ideas could you please share it...

thank you very much jewels

nickerbokker

Re: golden retriever rotti cross
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 10:59:42 pm »
Sounds like a cute looking dog. Can you post a picture please?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 11:40:05 pm »
Hi jewels...... me too would love to see pics of her. And also a little more information about what exactly you would need help to solve. When and where is she chewing, if you can please give more detailed info and it might be easier to figure out what is going on in her little head or mouth lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jewels

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 12:18:39 am »
hi there..
well she only chews when we are out..
it could be for 5 min and or 2 hours....she does not chew the furniture ..but everything eles..shoes paper plants books
i was just wondering if this will stop with age or if there is something that i can do to help stop her from doing that...
i will post one of her in the next couple of days...and she is a cutie...i did not relize everything that i was missing with a larger dog..the dog we had befor was a bichon cross....but sadly we had to put him to sleep and now we have mandi her and my son are like the best of buddies...

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 12:41:18 am »
hi there..
well she only chews when we are out..
it could be for 5 min and or 2 hours....she does not chew the furniture ..but everything eles..shoes paper plants books
i was just wondering if this will stop with age or if there is something that i can do to help stop her from doing that...
i will post one of her in the next couple of days...and she is a cutie...i did not relize everything that i was missing with a larger dog..the dog we had befor was a bichon cross....but sadly we had to put him to sleep and now we have mandi her and my son are like the best of buddies...
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your Bichon x..It is sad they can't live as long as we do but I believe the reason why is because there are so many that need us to take them into our homes & our lives...One has to go on for another to have the life it should. :) Anyway, as far as the chewing goes, simply puppy proof the areas where the dog is allowed & give her plently of toys & chews to chew on...If it isn't possible to puppy proof all of the area where the dog is allowed, then cut back the area she is allowed in with closed doors & baby gates or consider crate training...We crate trained Samson & he is only allowed in a couple rooms in the house unattended...W e have had very minimal damage due to his puppy chewing...Good luck! :)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 07:42:01 am »
Ditto on the puppy proofing and providing appropraite chew toys. That's really the only way to go. At the puppy stage, chewing is inevitable. Their teeth hurt and they are bored. Buy toys that you do want the pup to chew on, and reward them for playing with those toys. Also, puppy proofing is key. Everything that you think the pup might chew needs to be out of their reach. When my dog zoey was old enough to be let out of the crate while we were gone but still in the untrustworthy puppy stage, we would keep her babygated in the living room. Every morning before I left I would go through the living room and pick up anyhting that wasn't supposed to be on the floor and make sure there was plenty of toys out.
RIP former BPO

Offline kilbaraberry

• Ankle Biter
  • katie and 1/2 of pups
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 10:52:42 am »
I had to put my old mix boys pic up hes a rottie/sheperd i think but im not sure

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 09:24:49 am »
I see Rottie in there.

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 09:36:33 am »
Just to chime in.....Both breeds (Retriever and Rottie) are high energy and need to be occupied, so they're going to chew when they're bored.

Rotties are big chewers, so you need tough toys. The filled Kong mentioned was a good idea. It gives them both physical (jaws) and mental stimulation because they're trying to get that yummy stuff outta there and trying to figure out where it is, etc. When I worked at the Humane Society, we bought an enormous jug of generic peanut butter every month or so and filled all the dogs' Kongs. It kept them busy all day.

Crate training is also awesome! I had a Pit/American Bulldog with severe separation anxiety. He chewed/ate EVERYTHING. I bought a crate and it worked wonderfully. There's lots of internet resources and books available on how to do it properly.

Something else I always told people at the Humane Society is that WE'RE the ones with the bigger brains! That means that we know how to put things away, out of reach, etc. They're just doing what dogs do. So, put those shoes away, put books on higher shelves, etc.

Also, I found with my American BD X, he would get bored with the same toys, so I would give them to him in rotations, not all at once. And throw a new one in every chance you get!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 09:48:51 am »
Luckily my Rotts haven't chewed anything major...but we keep them busy enough not to loose furniture, etc.  I buy toys and they last a few hours (like last night)  I could have sworn the new toys were sturdy enough.  but they love to prove they can eat anything with 300 plus pounds of chewing strength.
They love their nyla bones and this other kind of bone I found Saturday that's more like a real bone but not...they seem to be "Challanged" by those.  :)   

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 11:40:23 am »
I just saw a program on Animal Planet about this very issue. They, too, used the Kong with snacks inside. The dog had extreme separation anxiety and within days he became so fixated on the Kong, like it was his best friend, his whole demeanor changed and he even sought out his crate when he wanted some time alone with his Kong.

That would be the cheapest, easiest way to start the behavior modification. Try that first.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
Bullmastiff X Cane Corso Mix
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 11:57:12 am »
Hello all, I am a big fan of the big dogs... I have a 9yrold brindle Cane Corso (ORION), a 2 yr old yellow lab(ASPEN) and our newest addition just added last week a 12 week old bullmastiff x cane corso mix(KIA)  Looking forward to being here  :)
LA & Gang

Kiahpyr

Re: Bullmastiff X Cane Corso Mix
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 12:00:08 pm »
Hello all, I am a big fan of the big dogs... I have a 9yrold brindle Cane Corso (ORION), a 2 yr old yellow lab(ASPEN) and our newest addition just added last week a 12 week old bullmastiff x cane corso mix(KIA)  Looking forward to being here  :)

Your puppy is so cute!! I love it here. Glad you are too! Post pictures of your other dogs. We would love to see them.

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 12:19:12 pm »
here is one of the lab :) he is very silly....
LA & Gang

Kiahpyr

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 12:20:43 pm »
Nice positioning! Thanks for posting.