Author Topic: Bracing myself for the comments  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Bracing myself for the comments
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:54:45 am »
Sierra and I are going to the Pet Expo tomorrow.  She's getting a bath and a brushing so she looks like her beautiful self instead of the smelly pile of fur she is right now.  I'm looking forward to it because it will be a great socialization and desensitizing experience for her.  A huge place with lots of sights, sounds and ALL kinds of other animals. I can't wait to see her reaction to the parrots and macaws and hopefully they will have the big cats again.  Let's see her try to bully the tigers around like she does to Fat and Gina!  LOL!!

I'm sure I will hear all kinds of comments about her being small and I am debating if I should just rehearse my speech or wear a T-shirt with it.  I figured no one will actually read the shirt so I'll just say my speech a million times.  Yes, she's a Newf...Yes, she's purebred... No, she's not too small...She's still a puppy... At 26.5 inches and 100 lbs, she's pretty much on target...

Oh joy.  I can't wait.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Bracing myself for the comments
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:14 am »
You get to bring her to the pet expo?  That's great.

I'm going to the one here in Chicago today and unless you are with one of the groups there or entered in one of the contests they don't let you bring your dogs with.  :(  But I suppose there would be too many dogs there then and people would be bringing dogs that shouldn't be there along.

I did bring Gunther and Posey last year to the one in Minneapolis, but they were entered in the costume and "cutest pet" contests.  and yup, lots of comments, but mostly b/c of the size difference.  and one guy who had been looking into getting a pup for the family decided a rat terrier might be the right dog for him.  :D

Good luck and have fun!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:43:50 am »
You can only bring them between certain times, but last year nobody abided by the rules, so we're going to try to get her in there earlier than the specified times.  Last year's expo was the first time Jeff came face to face with a Newf.  It was a huge drooly male and I never thought that he would agree to one after seeing the mess this dog was making with the slobber.  I think seeing my excitement about that dog is what pushed him to say yes.  Whatever it was, I can't wait to show off my girl!!!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:13:09 pm »
Awww. Sounds like so much fun! I was going to go to the pet expo in Chicago, but I have to work all weekend. :-\ That is cool that you get to bring Sierra though! I'm sure you guys will have so much fun. And I'm sure most people will be oooooing and ahhhhhing over your beautiful girl!!!!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 04:43:32 pm »
so how did the expo go?  did you hear any comments you didn't expect?  that's what i like...when someone comes up with something original.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 04:51:42 pm »
Actually, I was pleasantly suprised.  I heard lots of comments about her size, but all but one idiot, everyone knew she was still a pup and quite a few people commented on how she's a good size for her age.  She got lots of attention and she got pet by about a zillion people much to her happiness.  She got a new pink camo collar and leash, a big a$$ bone, and so more toys.  I have pictures of all of it, but Jeff is in Virginia with the camera so I can't get to the pics til tomorrow!  She behaved like a perfect little lady except for the pulling because she was excited.

And I never realized just how laid back she is.  There were horse there - HUGE draft horses pulling carts and trotting next to her about 10 feet away and she barely looked in their direction.  No Shyness, no nothing.  Barely even an interest in these humungous animals pulling an equally humungous carriage, with bells and music and stuff. 

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret