Author Topic: Aggressive Mastiff Puppy?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline roscosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Aggressive Mastiff Puppy?
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »
Hi -
We just bought an English Mastiff puppy. He is exactly 8 weeks old today. We have a Bull-Mastiff (120lbs) and a Welsh Corgi (15 lbs). He weighs 17 lbs already!!!! Yikes! He is the only boy in the pack.

We have only had him two days but I notice a couple of things that I want to know how to handle:
1. he humps -quite a bit, especially on my 9 year old son
2. He nips and mouths and kind of growls --at the other dogs and also on my son, but seems to be playing
3. He "kills" toys

Is this normal? He is going to be very large and I want to try to get it under control early. Am I being too sensitive?

Thanks in advance for your help. BTW, his name is Rosco.

Offline Uncanny

• Gnawer
  • My Sioux
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive Mastiff Puppy?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:27:42 am »
We had the same problem problem with the humping when we got our male puppy.  Although he is a GSMD rather then a Mastiff,  my sister-in-law (who has a pair of English Mastiffs) told us the best thing to do in that situation was to reassert your dominance over him.  There are several ways to do this. The next time that he tries to do this, hold him on his back until he stops squigling.  We did this maybe twice on our Smoke and he hasn't tried to hump anything, including other dogs since then.  Which may come as a problem for breeding, :).  I hope this helps alittle bit!
Owned by:
Sioux - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Smoke - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Amaga - Bengal mix
Bandit - Our little black and white kitten

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive Mastiff Puppy?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:47:04 pm »
NIFIF  I now feel like a broken record but I do believe with puppies it makes the most sense to them and of course lots and lots of love .patience and attention..

Tricia and the fur kids