Author Topic: Meet Joe  (Read 6679 times)

bigdogs@5501

Meet Joe
« on: March 16, 2008, 09:05:51 pm »
Joe was in the same shelter that Piglet was in, back in November. Joe was a puppy mill breeder and since he is now 6 years old- he is no longer deemed a good sire- so they dumped him at the city shelter.

I had a Pyrenees that I was going to go and get when I was asked if I would take Joe ( he was Kujo, we have renamed him Joe)I had a good resource for Joe so of course I said sure.

Joe is HUGE, I thought that Jake was big, silly me, Joe is big. When I first got to the shelter he was in a pretty large outside enclosure, I walked up to the fence and he met me with a fercious bark. I then put my hand up to the fence and he nipped at me twice then licked my hand. I had a 3 hour trip back, no crate that large, so Joe and I were going to have to make friends and quick.

I was going to put his leash on him and was told no- wait, he doesnt like it when you touch his collar ( great ) so they put a slip leash on him and off we go to the truck. I had to take the big Chevy so that he would fit to be able to bring back- well the Chevy has a lift kit on it- Joe had a bit of a problem getting in, but with a little help from the director at the shelter and few growls and barks- he made it into the back seat. I got the Pyrenees loaded into the crate and we took off.

Now this is where I have come to appreciate what all of you Mastiff owners tolerate daily... the MASSIVE amount of drool. He was pretty curious to see where we were going so he ended up putting his head between the front seats and was leaning on my shoulder. By the time we had gone 100 miles, my sleeve and the front of my shirt were soaking wet. I stopped at a McDonalds and treated both boys to a double cheeseburger and then we got back on the road, he finally crashed after the snack and slept most of the way to his new home.

Once we got to Brenda's we put both boys in seperate runs- he was so excited that he was getting all of this attention but when it came down to me leaving - he got grumpy, he was growling and showing me his teeth. I was really getting worried that I was going to have to sleep with this dog until I was able to distract him and beat him to the gate.

I am happy to report that Brenda and her husband LOVE him and he is getting along great at thier house.
I am not so sure that I am ready for a Mastiff any time soon, but what a cool experience.

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: Meet Joe
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:25:49 pm »
What a great story!!!!  Thanks for sharing.  BTW... embrace the drool! :D
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:35:55 pm »
oh wow! he is huge and beautiful!
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

lorim2

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:55:49 pm »
OMG....Thats all I can say...I want to hurt the people that dropped that beautiful boy!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:03:23 pm »
I officially heart Joe - and you for taking him out of the shelter. I'm confident he'll relax and be slobbering all over everyone in no time!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:13:55 pm »
Joe looks like a big love bug! Just like my Bryce bless you for rescuing JOE! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:13:32 am »
He's gorgeous, slobber and all!!!  I think after some consistency he'll be fine and the growling will be replaced with kisses!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:09:04 am »
Wow! He is a gorgeous dog. He's lucky that you rescued him. It sounds like with some TLC, he'll settle into the good life quite nicely.  ;)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:43:23 am »
Pretty Joe!
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

marypyrs

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:13:17 pm »
Joe is beautiful Paige! WOW! How on Earth could someone just throw him away. Well - Too bad for them!!!  ??? And congrats to his new Furever Family.  :-* BIG KUDOS to you Paige! You've done it again.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 05:11:39 pm »
What a gorgeous mastiff.  I'd be a little snarky too after being dropped at a shelter.  Thanks to you, he's well on his way to safe and happy.  Well done Paige! 
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:05:23 pm »
What a beauty!
I haven't had too much experience with other large breeds, I have my 2 mastiff's now.  Prior we have always had SPCA specials.
I do know that mastiff's take separation from their owners very hard.  They need constant contact with their people and often guard with strangers.  He will be ok as long as he is introduced to new situations slowly.  He needs to gain the trust of his new people.  However, that being said, they shouldn't let him get away with anything either and should make him work for food, treats, cuddles etc.
When my hubby went to look at Luke (got him from Mastiff rescue) Luke did NOT give him a warm reception.  It took a couple of visits and ignoring him at first before he calmed down.  Now when he went to pick Luke up, Luke walked right up to him, sat down and waited for his leash to go on.  He jumped right into the van and didn't look back.  He has glommed onto me, and very rarely leaves my side.  He is the best dog we have ever owned.

Handsome Joe will be alright!  Especially when he realizes he's got it made!

Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)