Author Topic: in all the years of rescue..  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
in all the years of rescue..
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:53:14 pm »
..I could count the times "it didnt work out" on one hand. ONE HAND!!!

This month I have had THREE dogs returned, each time after only having the dog for 48 hours or less. All three went through their application processes and homechecks and one person drove up from 3 hours away TWICE before taking him home! All three people have said "Its not (enter dogs name here) he is perfect, our lives are just too complicated or (enter some lame excuse here)

I cant understand it!!!!

What is going on with the world today that comittment means nothing?!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: in all the years of rescue..
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:07:48 pm »
I think the ones that are returned are the ones that need extra love and pepole realize they just do not have that extra time to spend on them. Bottom line they just give up to easy! I seen it happen one to many times.It breaks my heart mainly for the dog since they do not understand why they are being returned to the place they were hoping they would never see again.And pepole wonder why i can't sleep at night! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:47:16 am »
 >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(

People suck (sometimes).
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:05:32 pm »
I think people think that you're supposed to have puppies and kitties - it's the "thing" to do. 2.5 kids, a dog, a cat, white picket fence, etc. People are too focused on that to even hear anyone who's trying to tell them that it's actually a lot of hard work to have and maintain a really nice pet. It was very frustrating for us trying to adopt a puppy because a lot of shelters just flat out rejected us due to my kids ages - especially my 2 year old. I was shocked when we were turned down for puppy adoption! Having Kai now, I can see their concern. Kai's first day home she chomped my son's hand a couple times, drawing blood and leaving bruises. I guess that is their concnern - too many people would high-tail it back to the shelter and say "this just isn't working out - look at my kid's hand". Turns out, though, that Kai has been easy to redirect and she is so responsive when I say "down" and "no teeth". She has been a ton better with my little one. It's EASY if you stick with it and are committed. That's the problem - people aren't committed.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python