Author Topic: Ummm, I had a slight hair disaster.. Opinions?  (Read 6421 times)

Lyn

Ummm, I had a slight hair disaster.. Opinions?
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:31:28 am »
I had the bright idea to color my hair lastnight. It was suppose to be a dark chery red with coppery highlights. On the box It looked more like a dark brown with a slight red tint. So I figured what the heck but little did I know..... and no I'm one of those stupid people that don't bother doing the strand test. :-\ :D

Inside is does look cherry-ish brown. Outside in the sunlight I look like I'm on FIRE! LOL :-[

So I'm debating on getting a dark brown and going back over it. Maybe leaving the lower half of my hair the red? What do you all think? Honestly... You won't hurt my feelings. :D

I took a pic of what it looks like inside.. It's not styled.. and I'm not wearing any makeup and I can't believe I'm actually posting this picture. LMAO But this is what it looks like.  :-[

Edit, ooops forgot the picture.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:32:07 am by Lyn »

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ummm, I had a slight hair disaster.. Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:39:05 am »
I actually like the color in the picture you posted! But if it looks like "too much" outside, then I think that toning it down a bit with some brown would work.  I also think it would look cool if you left the color on the bottom. I think that's a great idea!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:45:30 am »
I like the color! I really do!!! I think some of the highlights need to be a little darker but aother than that I think the hair looks great on you :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:00 am »
To tell ya the truth...I sorta like it! hahaha Red fades quickly, so maybe after a couple washes it will tone it down a little bit. Also, you could try maybe doing a toner. Or try getting one of those color enhancing shampoos in brown, and maybe that will calm the red and bring out more brown. :)

Modified to add: It sorta looks like when I had my hair like this.....

(hahaha. I thought I was a model when I was in high school. ::) )...oh man...hahaha.. i act like it was years ago....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:58:28 am by Pyr Heaven »
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:01:53 am »
You know I think it's the highlights that I hate the most.. They are more orange-ish.. and I HATE orange. LOL That was one of the reason I decided to color it in the first place. I had blonde streaks that were fading to orange! GAG

Luckily the highlights are only on top, so if I use an ash brown over it, voila gone. ;D

Here's a picture of my head under the light. Sigh.. What did I do?  :-[ Do you still think I should live with it for 48 hours? LOL

Gemz

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:27:56 am »
im not helpful in the slightest, but have to say your hair is really shiny and healthy looking, im jealous!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 10:30:30 am »
For what it is worth, I like the base color a lot.  The highlights are a little orange-y, though.  Of course, considering some of the reds I have had in my hair, I may not be the most balanced opinion...  :D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:36:47 am »
The highlights you see are the ones I put in it lastnight. The highlighting kit came with the red. I shouldn't have put them in. :(

My yucky blonde highlights are gone but were replaced with those. LOL

I just did a google search and I'm not the only one complaining that the color looks nothing like the box shows. LOL Go figure..  ::)

I just sent a friend out to get me a dark ash brown. I'm not leaving the house. LOL I'm going to leave the lower half red, my hair is layered so I'll dye the upper layer brown and leave the length red.. Bye bye orange streaks.  :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:38:44 am by Lyn »

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:52:07 am »
What beautiful red brindle hair! I would totally leave it. It will tone down a bit after some washings, right? Anyway, I think it's awesome. I'd leave it.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:33:12 pm »
Red usually lasts about 3-4 weeks in my hair. Problem is I put it over medium brown and blonde so it's probably going to get lighter and brighter instead of just toning down. :(

I won't be making that mistake again. But then again the color was suppose to be a DARK brown with a HINT of red. Ummmmm yeah ok. ::)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 12:34:35 pm »
I used to be a hair stylist. And do a strand test first. Your base color should be OK with the ash it should neutralize the red. But the old blond, not sure what will happen with that. Especially depending on the level(darkness) you got. With blond hair you have to "fill" it in order to get the desired color you want if you are going darker. That is why your streaks turned orange.

Good luck.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 12:37:53 pm »
Red usually lasts about 3-4 weeks in my hair. Problem is I put it over medium brown and blonde so it's probably going to get lighter and brighter instead of just toning down. :(

I won't be making that mistake again. But then again the color was suppose to be a DARK brown with a HINT of red. Ummmmm yeah ok. ::)

With box color it is hard because you don't know the combo of colors they used. If you are a natural brown and you put a color with red in it, your hair will pull the red and not look like the color on the box.  :-\

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 12:41:35 pm »
Thanks Nina.

The old blond highlights were completely covered by the red, I think because it is so dark. The orange streaks were caused by the highlighting kit that was included with the red color. The directions are to apply the streaks after the red is washed out and hair towel dried. It's L'oreal color expert.. should be color disaster. LOL

I would have been better off if I had of left my head all over red and excluded the highlights. Although the color still wasn't what I thought it was.. it would have been better than orange!  

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 12:44:16 pm »
My hairdresser cringes everytime I tell her I colored my hair. LOL She said the same thing about filling the blond first, but honestly I've went from blond to brown before with no problem. Is the 'fill' to prevent fading or just so you can achive the correct color?

Hair color fades fairly quickly on my hair so I usually have to redo it every 4-6 weeks. Although I generally wait quite a bit longer than that depending on what color it fades to. LOL
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:46:18 pm by Lyn »

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 12:54:26 pm »
OHH I didn't realize it was a kit. I do like the red, but yeah your right the orange is a bit much. It is fixable though. You just need to fill the blond/orange only with a red color(dye) and once that is complete. Color your entire head or top portion with and ash brown and it should be all one color. I know this will work with professional color not sure with box color.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)