Author Topic: General Newf info needed  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Zoja

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
General Newf info needed
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:28:22 pm »
Been reading threads, but just wanted some general info from owners about this breed. Any kind of info would be great. Also wondering about food- is there certain types or protein/fat levels recommended? I know a bit , but love to learn from those who have experienced the breed.
Thanks ;D
Shannon

Offline lenas mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: General Newf info needed
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:46:53 pm »
We love our newfie!! I did daycare and she has been by far the most gentle dog with the kids.  However we struggled to get the best type of food to begin with.  Finally ended with a low protein mix so she didn't grow to fast??  Seemed to work now we feed a mix of kibble and raw.  She's very healthy.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:16:30 pm »
My Newf, Sierra is the most amazing dog I have ever owned.  I'll never own another breed.  EVER.  She is loyal, sweet-tempered and treats everyone she meets as if they are her best friend in the whole world.  She guards the house and naturally protects our youngest daughter, even from us. She's smart, a little TOO smart for her own good sometimes, and at the same time she's a little bit stupid and keeps us entertained by her antics.  She has great potential as a therapy and drafting dog.  We're actually training her to be useful around the house by getting her used to harnesses and pulling light loads, so when she is mature enough to pull larger loads, she can help us with cleaning up the yard. I know, I'm a mean Mom, but a working Newf is a happy Newf, I've been told.

THe down falls to the breed is of course the hair, the drool and the susceptibility to joint problems and dysplasia.  Make sure to buy from a responsible breeder to lessen the chances of hereditary problems.  As for the drool, well, yeah, it's gross, but dealing with it is WELL worth the absolute joy of owning a Newf.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

jesday

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »
I agree with you about best dog/dogs ever owned. We've always had multiple dogs of some sort or another, even a huge Newfie/Lab mix who was so sweet. But nothing like our new babies.

We just build a house with 10 acres of land and we discussed getting a Newf based on how sweet our mix was - eventually! My husband, however, went temporarily insane and had a breeder show up at our door Christmas morning with two 4 month olds complete with Santa hats. Although I was thrilled, we were hardly ready. It was the middle of record breaking winter, barely a house, no fencing. He also foolishly thought I would pick one. I thought he bought two.

I could write a novel about the trials and tribulations of those first few weeks, hubs gone on business trip, renting a jackhammer to poke holes in 3ft of snow and frozen ground to  set fence posts, potty training on a Newf scale times two. Many, interesting challenges.

But they are so mellow and loving. Each has a distinct personality, but both are total love dogs. They are regal, noble, stoic, handsome, pretty, sassy, funny, clowns, the list goes on.

But I don't need to tell you about the breed. Sounds as if you know what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the long post. I love this site, but I'm not an experienced poster so I hope I'm not breeching any rules.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:32:49 pm »
Hi,

Winslow is my First Newf, pretty much my first dog, I was not an animal guy. My wife (at the time) wanted a newf, I figured what the heck. Well now I have Winslow and the wife moved on, her loss my Gain.

Winslow, and from what you have seen posted above The breed, is the BEST THING THAT ever happened to me. Unconditional love at its best, the perfect companion, intelligent, and eager to please the ones they bond with!!

They shed, they slobber, they bump into things that fall over and break, they drink water from their bowl and let half of what they drink drop in your lap because as soon as they finish a drink they want to put their head in you lap!!  You will be stopped in the street and told you have a bear, a horse, a black saint bernard, and askied if you have a saddle.

You'll laugh and enjoy every comment becuase your Newf is yours and no one else will have the pleaseure of that companionship!!

The Newfoudland is truly a fabulous breed.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:46 pm »
I echo most of what has been said. Kali is my first newf but my family has been around Newfs since before I was born. For food we feed Canidae All Life Stages. I don't know the content off hand but it works out to be a semi premium food. Some people on here have to feed food that is more suited to sit on your plate than in a dogs bowl (due to their dogs allergies), those are the true premiums.

I think the best place for you to get some hand time with newfs would be a get together for your local Newf Club. When we get together with the New England crew there is usually 150 dogs.

Tim

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:05:45 pm »
Tim, 150 dogs???????? Are these all newfs. I wanna come. Where and when do you meet?

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 08:10:35 pm »
Hi,

Yes all Newfs! The Newfoundland club of New England. They normally meet at the 4H Grounds in Westford MA. Next meeting June 8th see the link for more info

http://www.newfclubne.org/NCNE/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:11:59 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad