Author Topic: Someone help me change his mind!  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Someone help me change his mind!
« on: March 20, 2008, 09:04:59 pm »
Alright. My boyfriend (Who does not live with me) has decided that after being around my puppies it's time to go ahead and get his own. He has been waiting to get a puppy for some time because he is a single father to a 3 and a half year old daughter and he wanted to make sure he had the time for one.

When he was a kid, he had an akita. He now wants an akita puppy. But his personality is very grabby, snuggly, squish-the-puppy, throw the ball for the bounding dog, etc. (Seriously, he has a golden retriever personality). Not only that, but I am really very worried because we've been dating for about 2 years and although he doesn't live here yet, that is something we have talked about in the future, and I worry how an akita will fit in with my household.

My never-the-same household of chaos, loud noise, big birds who are not caged but instead have a room of playgyms, cats, lots of other dogs, and constant changing rotating rescues.

Everything I have ever read or known about Akitas tells me that this is the wrong breed for him. I have nothing against Akitas, but just like any breed, they aren't for everyone, and I don't think he has the lifestyle an akita could mesh into well.

Someone help me! What other breeds can I point him towards that have similar looks (Really thats his thing, he wants a dog that looks like the dog he had growing up, which was a fawn akita), IE BIG, fluffy, curled tail, propped ears, etc-that doesnt have the typical northern breed prey drive, lack of interest in other dogs (or downright aggression), that likes kids (or tolerates kids) and can stand a shifting schedule or hectic household? Is anyone else drawing a blank, cause I sure am!!!!!!!!

BTW: We have already crossed out siberians.

Alternatively- is it wrong for me to get involved?

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

lins_saving_grace

Re: Someone help me change his mind!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:17:54 pm »
it may be wrong to get you involved in this decision.  you'll have him try one of everything.

It's hard to tell without knowing him what might work for him.  but akitas may not, especially if there's a little kid at home.   
what about a Mal?  Are they good with kids?   I've never met one, but i've heard they are an acquired taste too.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:24:30 pm »
Samoyed!!! Are great with kids, very people oriented and look like hairy akitas  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:07:44 pm »
May I ask why huskies have been taken off the list?

Me, I'd look for a husky/shep mix, of which there seem to be a surprising number.  Usually mid sized, most are very attractive looking and have the best of both worlds.  Intelligent, friendly, and yes many will play fetch.  ;)

But if you are looking for a purebred, I think the Mal is a great choice.  I used to petsit for a family that had a mal and an aussie with 3 young boys.  He was awesome.  But as with most northern breeds need a special kind of training b/c of how their minds work.

Besides the samoyed, the american eskimo is a very similar breed.  Comes in 3 sizes, I'd think he'd want to look at the largest size.

Other japanese breeds may work as well, but would obviously be harder to find.  The kai, sanshu, hokkaido (or ainu), kishu, and shikoku.  Or the korean jindo dog.  They all vary in size and coloration.

How about an eurasier/eurasian?  Very attracive dogs, not necessarily like an akita but they are a hairy chow/sheperd looking dog.

Finnish lapphund is another northern breed.  Although considerably smaller than an akita, they sound as if they would work great with children.

Icelandic sheepdog?  Again, not a big dog but attractive and active.  They come in 2 coat varieties.

Karelian bear dog.........ag ain, not a large dog.
Norwegian elkhound
Keeshond
Tibetan mastiff
Swedish lapphund...... .similar in size to the finish lapphund

but I think the largest are the tibetan mastiff, akita and mals.  So I guess it depends on what size he is looking for and what would work best for him.

Of course many of these breeds are not that easy to find in the US sooooo........ a mixed breed or rescue may be his best bet.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 10:57:41 pm »
Siberians are off the list for a stupid reason. I had been pushing him towards Sibes because I showed/trained/raced sibes in my teens, I know the breed, I love the breed, and he knows Maya, the champion sibe bitch I co-own with my mom.

These are his exact words: If I can't have Maya, I dont want another siberian. Its stupid, but I guess somewhat flattering towards Maya.

I was thinking of an elkhound- anyone know how they get along with other dogs/cats/kids typically? Those are my main concerns.

Thanks for the research-worthy list!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:41:42 am »
I wonder if I can show him a mutt puppy thats something like a golden retriever/great pyrnese or siberian and tell him its some rare made up breed.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:57:22 am »
I had an elkhound quite a few year ago, here name was Margo she was so beautiful - but she wasn't very nice : (
We got her after we were married only about a month and we lived in a small town where you could bring your dog many places with you, so she was very socialized, we went to obedience school, so she was trained, and she still wasn't nice.  She prefered to be outside alone than to be with us, when we came home she would walk up to me wag her tail one time and walk away and she totally ignored my husband.

In defense of elkhounds we think something was wrong with her we bought her from a vet at what we thought was 9 weeks when her papers arrived she had been 15 weeks.  We also think she may have been interbreed (at that time we weren't into checking into histories and visiting breeders we saw her she was gorgeous and we took her home...we have learned alot!)

A friend of my sons has an elkhound also prefers to be by herself but at least she will greet you and then walk away.

For those of you with elkhounds I don't mean to criticize your breed!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:55:41 am »
what about a shiba inu or basenji?
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 11:37:43 am »
I third the "Mutt" vote. There are some fantastic "Rather Dogs" out there. They just live to love and be loved.  :)

modified to add this Cutie.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9025167
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:55:30 am by marypyrs »

chaosndestruction

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:46:13 pm »
I don't know much about other breeds but we have a Husky/Shep and he's wonderful with kids and Arisha our Malamute/Husky is amazing with them. I swear when we had a 2 year old in the house she was the one watching him not us (my mom does foster teens and one had a 2 year old).

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »
what about a shiba inu or basenji?

I think they would be too small :/

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 03:15:25 pm »
What a great idea!!! I wonder if a leo or leo mix would work for him- I will gather some breed info for him- Thanks!

basically that's exactly what I know he would like- a golden personality in a different body. If I could find a golden personality in an akita body I swear it would be the perfect dog for him. Ultimatly it is his decision, I am just slowly trying to help him get informed.

Thanks all! Keep the ideas coming!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 05:01:02 pm »
I'm gonna jump on the mutt-wagon. Use your rescue contacts to find him a mutt that looks similar to what he's looking for. As I'm sure you probably know, mixed breeds often have much better temperments than their pure bred lineage.

Also, I would strongly encourage him NOT to get a puppy with a 3-year-old. I always recommend parents with small children adopt an older dog for these reasons:

1) you never know what a puppy's true temperment is going to be. An adult dog (2 years old is what I recommend) has settled into their temperment and be more accurately temperment tested for what the extra attention a small child may give a dog (pulling ears and tail, sticking fingers in its mouth, patting it hard on the back, etc.)

2) older dogs in rescue are often already house-trained, behavior-trained and leash-trained or pick it up more easily.

Good Luck!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 05:15:50 pm »
Oh, he is so handsome!!! His eyes are just sparking with kindness and clever :) ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 06:26:48 pm »
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWW he is so beautiful. *Siggggh*

I will forward it to him post haste. Maybe he will see the true value of a mixed breed. And if not maybe he can come stay with me and the rest of the crew HAHAHAAHHAAH :P

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets