Mastiffs > Old English Mastiff Discussions

so happy i found this place! hi :) and help

(1/2) > >>

kuruks pappa:
hello everyone i have a 12 week old mastiff who was branded "aggresive" by our puppy kendergarden teacher :o
  Sigh..  it all started with the submit ur puppy exercize.
my wife rolled him on his back like she was told and he went grudgingly. but he was nibbling her fingers while he was on his back, the trainer said dont let him bite and instructed her to grab his neck and scold when he did this.  .. so she did and he didnt like it he tried to roll back over and stand when he did the trainer came over and tried to roll him, kuruk would have none of it and nipped at her (the teacher)when she grabbed him by his neck skin.
  my question is, is this aggressive behavior or a normal response.  ty for any response :)

MagicM3:
From what you have said so far I would say NOT...

This excersise as they/you call it IMO is done wrong so much that it is as shame what it has done to many many good dogs..

A nibbling pup is what it sounds like to me...not aggresion..

There are many things that make a dog aggresive....d ominance is another issue altogether..

Just like us there are dominat people and submisive people..

I am of the oppinion that NIFIF is a must for all puppies big paw or little...it makes sense to them...

At 12 weeks it would take a lot of work to create an agressive pup...and no I do not believe that they are born that way..

Welcome to the goup ..you will find many mastif parents here that can give you lots of advise on the breed...but mostly you'll find dog lovers..

Me and my fur kids welcome you..

Tricia and the fur kids

lins_saving_grace:
That is weird for a puppy class to have you be that aggressive in a roll.  I'm all for the roll and that shocks me.  the roll is a dominate behavior people can use to establish rule with your big dog.  I did it with both of my rotts and it worked to establish that i am the big dog.  but i would not grab the neck at the same time. 
I've used the sensitive spot on Grace's neck to get her attention, yes, but not during a roll. 
The roll is a pretty touchy subject here and i'm not making that the issue here...but that instructor is a little harsh. 
one behavior at a time.  roll or neck not both.  and you don't have to grab the neck as much as just poke it. 
Mastiffs are usually pretty mellow too. 
Try a different puppy class.  i don't like the sounds of this one. 
Yes nibbling is not an aggressive behavior.  your pup was probably just getting distracted. Grace does that too when i have her on her back, even in a playful way.

kuruks pappa:
thank you for ur responses :) u make us feel better we have decided to look for another trainer as she has said she knows nothing of mastiffs and couldnt have our sweet kuruks temperment more wrong  8)

ps i cropped picture to make it small enough but did a poor job =\

Haulin Mastiff:
I'm new here and was wondering what is the roll and why?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version