Author Topic: Someone tried to steal my Annie!!!!!!!! (**UPDATED**)  (Read 20037 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Someone tried to steal my Annie!!!!!!!! (**UPDATED**)
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:45:47 am »
I can't believe this happened. I am still shaking and its been several hours.

I took the dogs to the park today, so Whiskey could swim and I could work with Annie and Cisco on leash training (a little bit of progress in that they move now with a leash on, but still have no intention of walking with you)

On the way back to the house we swung by Petsmart to pick up some chewwies. I left the kiddos in the car and just took Whiskey in, since A) 3 perfectly behaved dogs would be too many in a store, and B) these are NOT 3 perfectly behaved dogs.

I rolled the windows down, gave them kisses and locked the doors and went inside. It was about 70 degrees out but I still didnt want to leave them too long so we weren't in there but a few minutes.

When I came out, I heard a puppy crying. At first I was a little confused, then I realized it was startled/hurt yelping and it was coming from the direction where I was parked.

Someone was pulling Annie out of the side window. She must have jumped up on the window and they reached in and grabbed her scruff and started hauling her out. They had her about half way out by the time I saw them, and she had spread her legs and locked her hips in the window and was screaming when I walked out of the store. The guy trying to take her was yanking on her neck trying to get her disloged from the window when I saw them.

I screamed at them and screamed help into the store and dropped my bag and ran at them. He dropped her and she hung from the car and I went straight for her to catch her before she could fall and break something and in the meantime I dropped whiskey's leash.

Whiskey kept going after the guy, and so did a store employee who was getting shopping carts. The employee caught him before Whiskey did and tackled him and pinned him while I dialed 911. He was a middle aged hispanic man who apparently didn't speak english, or didn't want to, because he wouldn't respond at all to me. He just shrugged at me and looked away. Bastard.

Annie is ok- I took her to the emergancy vet and she doesn't appear to have twisted anything or strained anything from being sea-sawed over the window. Cisco and she are both fairly traumatized- Cisco is of course too big to go through the window, but was cowered on the other side of the car and shaking when I got in to him- I think his sister's screams just really freaked him out. I bought all three of them ice cream and we came home and just tried to relax, but I have been back and forth panicked, furious, and crying all day. The police really pissed me off too because they were only going to charge him with attempted larceny which is like nothing, instead of dog-theft which is a felony.

Anyway.. just thought I would vent a bit.. the closest thing thats ever happened like this was we had two men break into my backyard and into the kennel to either steal rescues or perhaps MaiTai (my greenwing macaw who was new and in quarentine from the other birds) but they didn't get far at all before the alarm system caught them and so it really wasn't nearly as frightening as this. My poor little annie bear........
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 11:32:42 pm by whiskeyandsake »

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

EllieAndBlu

Re: Someone tried to steal my Annie!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:58:26 am »
OMG - how horrific! I got so panicked and weepy too when I read your post! I am still shaking, I cant even imagine how you feel Thankfully Annie is okay and you too! That scumbag should be slapped with a felony at the very least!

Offline Haulin Mastiff

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:50:01 am »
I am in shock!  It is really cool the employee tackled the guy before he could get away, but the way the cops behaved is unreal.  He should definately get a felony!!! How flustrating.  Thank God you came out when you did, and that Annie is ok.
Dante-5 mon male OEM
Alex-9 yr female Dalmatian
Dakota-11 yr skin baby
Zack-6 yr skin baby

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:41:55 am »
OMG!!! That is sooooo scary! I can't believe that happened, it's just awful that someone would try to steal a pup like that. Thank goodness you came out and the employee helped and you are all ok.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:26:54 am »
I think I may have ended up with an assault charge if someone tried to steal Phelan! I had never heard of Dog Theft as a charge before so I googled it, could be different in your state, but you would need to prove that he attempted to steal her to be used in dog fighting for that charge. Unfortunately pets are classified as property otherwise and it is a misdemeanor charge. Police don't write the laws they enforce them - don't kill the messenger.
*Sorry that sounds a little harsh, you should see all the Police Officers at the dog park, they love dogs too and I'm sure would like to do more.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:38:45 am by MeandPhelan »

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 09:30:04 am »
Thank goodness you got there in time.  My husband thinks I'm nuts for thinking of stuff like that but I am always  paranoid about leaving the windows down.  I am so glad your baby is safe and I hope that guy does get some punishment at least.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:50:11 am »
I hate to hear that, I believe you live close to me in NC. Also I did want to let everyone know that there IS a puppy theft ring and it is everywhere. The people that are stealing the dogs are not getting anything...may be a fine. There was one puppy that was jerked out of the owners hand and the owner knocked down. I will post more about that including the state when I have the permission to cross post the story. Right now due to the investigation, we have been asked not to say too much other than this is going on everywhere and when the police arrive at the peoples house they are told they are a "rescue group" so please....get your dogs microchipped, this was the only way some of these dogs have been returned.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 02:27:53 pm »
Oh God!  Poor Annie!  Good for her for resisting.  It probably gave you just enough time to come out of the store and stop it from happening.  What a good girl!  Thank God for that store employee too!  We need more people like him to step up and do the right thing.  I can't imagine what you must be going through.  As I read your post all I could think about was if I saw someone trying to get Sierra out my car, or if, God forbid, I came back out and she was gone.  I'm starting to hyperventilate and shake just thinking about it.  Your babies will recover quickly with your love and attention and you will recover also with their love and attention.  Poor Cisco...  Wondering what was happening to his sis...  This is so upsetting. 

When you bring cookies to the store employee, I'd bring Annie so he can see the sweet baby he helped to save.  Get a picture of them together and suggest to the manager that he post it up in the store.  I'd also send the pic and the story to the local papers so the employee gets the recognition he deserves for his heroism.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 04:06:03 pm »
OMG! How scary!! I am so happy Annie is ok. Kudos to the you and the store employee for thinking so quickly. I hope the guy gets charged and hopefully is too scared to ever dognap again!!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 04:21:10 pm »
Holy cow!!!  I want to second what everyone else has said and add;

WAY TO GO WHISKEY!!!!!!!!!

Man, as I was reading I was hoping he caught the guy!!  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the employee caught him, if Whiskey had he'd probably try to sue you, but man I was hoping!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 04:28:05 pm »
OH MY GOD!! That is HORRIBLE!

OK, now, take your contract and a reciept/copy of check or whatever, to show them that Annie is a thousand dollar dog! They may not understand the "Value" of Annie in terms of $$, and maybe that would make it a felony. Not that she is more valuable than a mutt, but, legally, she actually IS. If he had tried to steal a thousand dollar stereo out of your car, you'd better believe he'd have a felony then!! What a piece of...well, you know, POOP, but with different letters.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 04:31:06 pm »
oh noes!! Things like this get me sooo MAD!! Such horrible people - and on Easter too... The guy was probably catholic too - part of me wishes I had been there to yell at him too and just generally shame him and remind him of his mother... Which always works with bad Hispanic men! Not sure if with good ones.... Never had to do it to them... Anyways, he's just terrible and I just hope at least karma gets him! I'm still angry tho because people like that obviously cannot be good dog owners, so why the F must he F with good people like you who love their pups?!!! GRRR  >:(

Anyways, I'm really glad annie fought it (lucca just follows anyone -especially strangers...) & that you and the kids are fine  :)  ooh, and go you whiskey!!
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 05:44:03 pm »
OMG what a horrible thing to happen. I am glad you came out when you did. 

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 08:24:25 pm »
OMG!!  How horribly scary!
I am so so glad that Annie is alright and that the man was caught.

I agree to show that she is an expensive dog, that would up the charges a bit I think.
And I also agree to tell the local paper about the employees bravery in catching the thief.  May pressure the police to bring sticter charges as well.

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 08:45:57 pm »
Sorry you had to go thru something so horrible.

Wonderful that you are all safe.

It's too bad that your foot didn't accidentally slip into the crotch of the attempted robber.
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)