Author Topic: please help  (Read 2604 times)

Offline kaz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
please help
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:22:04 pm »
Hi

Im new here, my dogue is in her first heat, she has stopped bleeding but is still quite swollen, I dont want to breed her, can somebody tell me if its ok for my dog to go near her now she has stopped bleeding, I have let them play together but she is now trying to mount him, she has also been a off with my other bitch at meal times and when she is coming through the door, is this normal as at all other times they still cuddle up together.
Any info will be helpful thanks

Karen

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: please help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:45:39 pm »
the heat cycle is 21 days long!!!!!  If she stopped bleeding it is probaly her receptive time!!! I would not put them together again...and i wouldn't breed her either until at least 2..which you did state!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 06:46:06 pm »
or is it 14 days long??? one of the two....

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:24:31 pm »
Aggression/irritation towards other girls is normal. Just because she does not have any blood does not mean she is out of her heat! Typically three weeks is a good indicator of a heat cycle, but it's that second week that is really dangerous when she is fertile and the most receptive. If she is mounting your other dog and does not normally do this, she is most likely still hormonal.

I would not keep them together at all until her vulva is back to normal size and she is no longer hormonal. To be safe, 4 weeks after the first day of the heat cycle is usually a good indicator.

Also, please remember that "oops" litters can happen very quickly, and to keep your eye on her. I once witnesed an oops breeding THROUGH A CHAINLINK FENCE!!!!!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline kaz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:06:46 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advise its much appreciated.

Karen