Author Topic: My female is in heat  (Read 17827 times)

Offline kaz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My female is in heat
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:04:52 pm »
Hi

Im new on here, can somebody plse help me.
I have a dogue who will be 1yr old this wk, she has come into heat and has now been in heat for a couple of wks, she has stopped bleeding but is still very swollen, I dont want to breed her, but can somebody plse tell me when its safe for my dog to go near her again, I have let them play together keeping a close eye on them as she has stopped bleeding but she is now trying to mount him is this normal, she has also been a bit off with my other bitch but just at meal times, could this be just because she has been hormonal.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Karen
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:38:11 pm by DaneInsane »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: My bitch is on heat
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 02:08:56 pm »
Every dog is different...so me are in heat for 2 weeks some 4...some bleed through the entire time and some stop half way or so. She can be very fertile even if she doesn't bleed. I usually wait 1 month from the beginning to the end and then let my dog to socialize with other pups as it takes a while for the smell to go away :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline kaz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:14:09 pm »
Hi

Thanx for the info. so I should keep them separated even though she has stopped bleeding for another few wks.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:17:20 pm »
Hi

so I should keep them separated even though she has stopped bleeding for another few wks.
definitely! ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »
I agree. With my female I wait about a month before letting her and my intact male together.  Don't want any accidents!  ;)

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: My female is in heat
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 09:51:37 am »
Hi Karen,

I too have a dog in heat now.  She is a rescue who had a bad respiratory infection when I got her so her spay had to wait.  Lia has been bleeding for ten days now and yesterday she began to try mounting me every time I would cuddle with her or praise her for anything.  Today  a guy came to give me an estimate on a repair on my house and Lia would not leave him alone - how embarrassing!!!  I'm assuming she must be close to ovulation but I'm not going to let her off the lead for at least another month.  After she is through her heat, then I will wait until her hormones have time to settle before she is spayed.

My question to those who know is how do I know when her hormones have settled enough to have her spayed? 

Good luck, Karen.  We will laugh about this some day (actually I'm laughing about it now but I hope the carpenter never sees me again!!!)....... carol

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:26:04 am »
If I remember correctly, you can spay them one month after they are done with their heat cycle.  I would think the hormones would be pretty back to normal by then.

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 11:50:04 am »
 -Yet another stupid question from me, if she may be fertile after she stops bleeding, is it ovulation that's the end of the heat cycle or the actual bleeding. 

Thank you, this is very new to me and I won't let her get pregnant so I'm trying to figure it out.  I've read different things so it gets confusing....

Thanks ZooCrew....   great picture...

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:57:56 am »
Most people think that a female dog can get pregnant the entire time they are in heat. That is not true at all!

After they stop bleeding and is when they can get pregnant not while they are bleeding. Their vulva becomes very puffy and they flag their tail and then male dogs become interested in them. I would wait at least 1 to 2 weeks after she stops bleeding to let her near unneutered male dogs. Then get her spayed around then.

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 12:05:19 pm »
This is the average heat cycle. Naturally Mother Nature likes to play with averages so err on the side of caution:
two weeks coming into heat, two weeks in heat, and two weeks going out of heat. When the discharge changes color from bright red to clear straw color is when the female is fertile and most receptive to the male. Again these are averages, the only way to be certain is to have progesterone levels tested by your vet. Without fail the bi*c# you are trying to mate wont take and the one you absoloutely don't want pregnant will have an immaculate conception!!
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 12:07:23 pm »
As KatysTank stated, it is the second week you really need to be vigil and keep her away from other dogs.

I was originally told they would bleed a week, then stop a week, then start bleeding for another week.  3 wks is the heat cycle (approx).  However, my Posey is in heat right now (1st week) and this is her 4th heat she's had and she's never started bleeding again so I never really know when she's done.  

To be safe, I keep her away from Nigel starting end of the first week and for about 3 wks afterwards.  B/c even after the third week, he still has quite the interest in her........... .although some of that may be from them having to be separated and his exuberance at being reunited again.

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 12:56:57 pm »
Thanks for all of your replies.  It finally makes sense now.  And sweet, innocent Lia is not acting so innocent tonight!  She is so full of it!!!  She even tried to mount my 16 year old cat Podie - not appreciated at all.  And a big, stuffed fleece ball that she totally ignored until tonight - she just disemboweled it in two minutes flat....too funny..

Yup - she's full of it all right.

Thanks again

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:18 am »
Thanks, Holly.  Lia is not wagging her tail when scratched there yet.  She began bleeding August 29 or 30.  I'm playing it safe as long as I need to.  So far she's so easy that it's not too big of a deal......

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 08:20:21 am »
On average, days 11 to 14 are the most fertile.  None of my dogs has been anywhere close to average, though.  When we were breeding, we did ovulation timing tests, and I had bitches who ovulated at 17, 19, and 22 days.  My vet told me that long cycles like that were not uncommon in giant breeds.  So, my advice is wait four weeks to be safe--two or even three is not enough to guarantee against an unwanted pregnancy.

Most bitches will flag their tales when they are most fertile, but it's not a guarantee, either.  To test this, scratch her back in the area just above her tail.  If she is "ready," she will fling her tail over to once side, exposing her goodies for anyone who might want them.  If this is happening, you definitely don't want any boy dogs anywhere near!!

As for spaying, it is important to wait until after a heat cycle, but one month after the beginning of the cycle is enough.  When she is bleeding, the uterus becomes engorged with blood, and dangerous complications can result from spaying during this time.  A couple weeks after the bleeding has stopped, the risk of bleeding problems during surgery is gone, too.  There's no need to wait for her hormones to return to "normal" because they will get there whether or not she is spayed.

I agree! :D