Author Topic: Female puppy discharge?  (Read 20983 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Female puppy discharge?
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:37:59 am »
Kai has a discharge - yellowish, kinda thick. Sorry to be grossly graphic! She doesn't seem bothered by it. I keep cleaning her up, and then her fur around her vulva gets all yucky again. From what I can see on-line, it's not a big deal - just a "thing" that happens frequently with female puppies. The things I read said it's puppy vaginitis and there's nothing to really do about it, and it often stops after the pup matures a little more. Just wondering if that is consistent with anyone else's experience? I do plan on spaying her, but not for another 2 to 4 weeks.

I will also follow up with the vet, but I am currently questioning changing vets. My vet tends to be very laid back and perhaps overuses the word "self limiting". Seems like everything I've asked her about (kennel cough, ringworm, etc.) her opinion is that meds are not really necessary because those conditions are both self-limiting, meaning they will go away on their own. Not sure I agree with that approach. I know that when I ask her about "puppy vaginitis" she will say that it's self limiting! It may be, but I've heard that from her so much lately, I'd like some other opionions!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Female puppy discharge?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:39:21 pm »
How old is Kali? Discharge can also be the prelude to a heat cycle so if you where looking to beat the first cycle you may wish to move up the spay date.
"Lil lady discharge" as I call it, is rather normal and if shes not showing any signs of illness such as lack of appetite, increased urination, straining, blood in urine etc.. I would say your vet is correct and theres nothing to worry about.
Kudos to your vet for not going after the almighty dollar and doing unnecessary meds.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:20 pm »
Sounds like the same as our puppy, Sara. Vets and breeders all say it will disappear when she has her first cycle. As long as she does not have pain when going pee, nothing to worry about.
Brad
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:39:59 pm »
OK, let me clarify a little...the vet is really nice, and I'm all for not giving meds for stuff just for the heck of it - really. But she said that ringworm was "self limiting" and from my experience, it's a real trial to get rid of. So, I knew if I called her she'd say that this was a "self limiting" problem as well, and I wanted to see if ya'll agreed. However, since I first posted, Kai is piddling on the floor more, and in small amounts, so I'm going to take her in anyway to see if she has an infection. Thank you for all your opinions - I have come to really value them!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python