Author Topic: Think I want to get a Newfoundland  (Read 3947 times)

Offline eliconnell

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Think I want to get a Newfoundland
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:32:17 pm »
 ???I'm not too sure though.  I am concerned about the cost, the maintence/messyness and how big of a backyard should i have?  should he/she have a pool (how big of a pool) or something to swim in?  Any and all information is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
~Elise

lookingfornewf

Re: Think I want to get a Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:49:18 pm »
Newfoundlands are very loving, good tempered dogs. They are messy, at least mine is. Just earlier today when I let Clifford,( 6mos old, 80 pounds) in from outside, he got halfway through the house on my light colored carpeting before I realized he was covered in mud from digging in a flower pot outside. They do shed and drool a lot, so if you are not prepared for that it might not be the right dog.
I have a very small yard, it's not an issue, we take walks everyday. My Jack Russel needs far more exercise than the Newfoundland. They don't have to have a pool, but certainly find the water irresistable. Yesterday when we were out for a walk, I stopped to talk to friends, Clifford was playing in a puddle by us and then decided to just lay down in it.
I do love the breed, love their personality, their goofiness, their big sweet faces, but they are expensive to buy and take care of and yes, they can be messy. ::) ;D

Offline eliconnell

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:57:22 pm »
Thank you for yoru honesty.  They sound fun!!!  I guess I will just have to think about it, I don't want to be excited and interested then loose interest and my pup just become a pain. 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:14:01 pm »
Bear is all about real pols- hates the fake ones but we live in a loft in the city & he is fine. He is so mellow & fun! Although I do get tired of cleaning the drool off the walls each week.  ;D ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:04 pm »
Although I do get tired of cleaning the drool off the walls each week.  ;D ;D

You still try, Jamie?

Offline Moore1125

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 12:12:53 pm »
Newfoundlands are just big, sweet, lovable goofballs...bu t they do have their drawbacks...lo ts "o" drool, FUR, FUR , FUR...if you don't brush them on a regular basis, they get matted and look unkept. They have spurts of energy, but most of the time they just want to sleep! My boy, Rudder, is 2 years old and 165 pounds of love. I wouldn't trade him for anything! He LOVES the water...we don't have a pool and the kiddie pools are too small..so we settle for the lake and also are involved in a newfoundland water rescue training group..he gets his fun in the water! I also agreee to go to the dog shows in your area and talk to the newfie people there or contact your local Newfoundland Club chapter...GOOD LUCK!

Offline DottieDog

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:14:04 pm »
You think you want a Newfie? Umm.. wrong way round.. Newfies own you. You may 'think' your in control but it's their way of keeping you happy.
Don't worry about a pool, a Newf will find water no matter how hard you try to hide it!! As for walks don't worry about them a Newf is not stupid and once they decide they've had enough they will just stop no matter where you are! Newfs? The greatest dog on the planet. If it isn't a Newf then it's just another dog.

Check out my Newfspace site for more Newf stuff.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=134686809
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:15:24 pm by DottieDog »