Poll

What should I do?

Can You Fix Bad Behavior before it's to Late?
4 (100%)
How Long Will they be Naughty?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: I'm losing my mind!  (Read 16263 times)

Offline pyrenees

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: I'm losing my mind!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54:47 am »
I was very surprised reading about all the Pyrenees ways. I really must of been lucky. My Great Pyrenees was the easiest I mean the absolute easiest dog I ever had to train. I thought I must have done some wonderful research in finding such a smart dog. He was house trained so quickly and I just had to tell him no and he listened. I taught him hand commands that he picked up so fast. I assumed it was all because of his high intelligence. Even in the yard without a leash. The only problem I had for a while was him knocking over the garbage when I left the house and his obsession with bread.
Wow I was truly blessed in so many ways.
Now my Samoyed was a different story all together. It took a lot longer to train him and he was so full of nervous energy. He did many of the things that everyone was talking about. He too was a blessing though.
Good Luck to you!!!

Offline BaileyBear

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 10:48:08 pm »
It's been a while since i've been on and we've recently moved which has changed Bailey Bear a LOT!  We're back in Wyoming on the moms land and although Bailey still likes to dig, bark, and pretend that i'm not talking to her she seems to be easing up on it.  My mom has 2 Pyrenees (Noah's 8 months and Gus is 7 weeks) and a 9 year old german shepherd.  I was so happy to see she gets along with all of them however she has gotten VERY aggressive over food and my husband and I.  I would really like to break her of that habit since I have a 5 year old sister!  Anyways, if anyone has any tips please let me know, other than that shes a doll and makes everyone around her smile!
Sarah

Bailey: Pyrenees (11 Months)
Baxter: Yellow Lab (7 Years)

Offline Cave2PyrPressure

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 05:57:22 am »
I'm reading "she's gotten VERY aggressive with food and my husband and I" as that she's aggressive when someone else has your attention - does this sound right?  Not on the same scale, as Gomez is only 4 lbs, but whenever we introduce a new dog, adopted or fostered, he wigs out and becomes very protective of me.  He is an alpha alpha ALPHA male, all 4 lbs. of him. I say not on the same scale, because he cannot inflict as much damage on another human or animal as Bailey Bear would, due to her size, bu I've learned that going around the group, giving love to one dog then moving on to the next, giving each the same belly rub, hug whatever, so that it doesn't appear to him that one is getting more than the other.  Gomez sees he's getting as much love and attention as the others, it seems to soothe his bruised ego slightly and it also shows him that the other dogs are "OK".

Food aggression is normal and quite common, even with the most laid-back Pyrs.  I discussed this with my rescue coordinator when we brought Morgan in as a foster and she explained that with any new experience, it is one of the things the dogs feel they can control.  As she gets used to the other dogs and her new surroundings, it may ease some.  Until it does, simply giving her her own space to eat will acknowledge her needs and it may not seem so important to her.

As far as people, especially your small sister - bring her out to meet each and every new person, rather than them coming inside the house.  And slow is sooo key.  Meet outside, approach Bailey with your sister using a soothing, quiet voice.  Make sure she has her hand palm-up and moves slowly.  If you sense any tension, stop and separate.  Try again until you sense Bailey is comfortable.  It sounds cumbersome, but Bailey sounds very Alpha and it may take her longer to adjust to new situations.  Plus, she's in an entirely new environment and doesn't understand what the heck is going on.  We love them as our own, but they are animals and this cannot be forgotten.

I've had a lot to say (LOL) and I am no expert by any means.  But I have 3 small children and have had to take a lot of care with so many animals in a not so large space.  Good luck, with time, patience and consistency, she'll be ok.
~Kelli - Colin, Molly and Patrick's birth mother
Breezely Greatest Pyr 2.5
Sullivan, Pyr foster failure 1.5
Cassidy Beautiful Border Collie 14
Gomez the Wonder Chihuahua 2
George the Fat Cat 6

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 03:05:16 pm »
From what I have come to know with Pyrs, this is the norm. My Oliver, though very well behaved turns and runs when I'm trying to get him to come inside, but only at night when it is cool out and he wants to stay out. They have quite the independant streak which, with time, I have learned to love.

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline Graidyn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 09:42:06 am »
I am new here, as you can see, and my Pyr boy, Judge, is only 7 months old, but he is just as reliable on recall as my 2 1/2 year old working Golden Retriever, Drake. I shamelessly took advantage of the fact that he is a guardian breed to achieve this. He also liked to ignore me, so when I would call him and he would ignore me I started to just immediately lay down on the ground where I stood. He had to come investigate why a member of his flock was down and would be rewarded immediately with tasty treats and lovin'. I don't have to lay down anymore (neither does anyone in the house) and we only give treats once in a while for the behavior, although he ALWAYS gets lovin' for it. He is, I'd say 98% reliable on recall as no dog is 100%, not even our hunting baby :) I wonder if this will help any of you out there? I have used it to help others train their Pyrs and the technique has not failed yet (knock on wood) they simply must investigate and guard a fallen member of their flock and the only way to do that is to go to that fallen member. It works very well. When we say his name he comes running like a freight train =D

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 09:52:21 am »
Hmmm, VERY interesting technique!!! I have never heard of it and definitely will try it :) Thanks!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Graidyn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 10:09:46 am »
You're welcome. As I said, so far it has worked very well with quite consistent results with Pyrs of all ages from stubborn pups to one 9 year old rescue :)
My Judge also walks at a better heel on lead than my Golden due to his devotion to hot dogs.....
I sliced one up and then cut each slice in quarters (little itty bitty pieces) I called him to me and let him have one, then let him watch me put the ziploc in my jacket pocket...I then proceeded to just walk around my yard, going about my business, ignoring him, with my thumb hooked in the jacket pocket. Whenever he would touch his nose to my hand I'd give him a piece. But only when he touched his nose to my hand and he did NOT have a leash on at the time. I continued to do that for a couple of days, without the leash. By the time I introduced the leash it was just a formality, when I walk with him now he's glued to my side.....no hot dogs needed, although he still gets them, or another tasty treat every once in a while to keep him on his toes! Maybe this will help those with leash training problems??

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 10:30:37 am »
luckily I don't have leash training problems, but I will definitley try the "stop drop and call" method on my recall :P Thanks for the tip!!

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes