Author Topic: help identifying my puppy  (Read 3979 times)

Offline rastadogg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
help identifying my puppy
« on: March 29, 2008, 06:43:37 pm »
i was hoping some one could help me. i know this may sound strange but i bought what i assumed was a siberian husky puppy from a private owner. after 2 months (he is 4 months old now) im starting to wonder if he is in fact an alaskan malamute. it makes no difference to us because we love him no matter what he is. im just trying to find out his true heritage so i know what to tell people when they ask "what kind of dog is that?" also id like to know if he's going to be bigger than i thought he'd be. at 4 months he weighs 35 pounds.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: help identifying my puppy
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:02:21 pm »
He looks more Mal than Husky but either way he is super cute!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:30:53 pm »
I know very little about mals and huskies, but based on the very little I know, that cute little "mane" of hair that sticks out around his head looks more mal than husky. He's adorable. He looks like a stuffie!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:08:11 pm »
I also know only the bare minimum about Alaskan Malamute vs. Siberian Husky, but I am going to vote Siberian husky on this one.  I know that the ears are different between the breeds, and those ears just look Siberian to me...  I am probably wrong, though...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:30:57 pm »
I can only tell them apart when they are a little bigger!  :P we had a malamute when i was 10 yrs old, and now my brother has a giant one... You'd think I would recognize them better, if only because I LOVE mals  :-\... from this picture, and the weigh, I'd guess Malamute for now... but again, at this point they all sort of look the same!!  :D
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:43:49 am »
35 LBS for a 4 month old siberian is on definitely on the big side but not horribly uncommon..ther e are so many backyard breeders selling 75-90 LBS siberian huskies now a days its hard to know. Typically, a male siberian should not weigh more then roughly 60 LBS full grown, which would make your boy just a bit oversized. On the other hand, I think 4 month old mals are about 45-50 LBS, or more. Our foster mal was about 62 LBS at 5 months.  Do you have any other pictures of him from the sides/rear/paws?

His head looks more sibe to me then mal. Hows his tail? a Mal's tail should "snap" more then a sibes.

He's friggin adorable whatever he is!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:54:22 am »
Here's a three month old mal pup:

your boys head reminds me of my sibe neo, and his father titus who look about identical.

I think the best way for you to tell is how put together your boy looks- if he still has a big ole head and paws on a small frame he still has a lot of growing to do, then he's a mal, if hes more proportionate and put together at this stage, he's a sibe!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:56:28 am by whiskeyandsake »

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 08:34:33 am »
oh my gosh..I don't know what breed but he sure is adorable!!
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:36:25 am »
looking at his face, ears, I would say Husky, he could be on the larger side of huskies since he was bought from a private breeder. Do you have his pedigree? I could look at that and tell you. He does have a very nice sized head though :)

Offline rastadogg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 06:24:11 pm »
thank you all for your help. i guess ill just say he's a malberian until i can figure it out.

and for those of you asking for more pictures... here ya go

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:07:13 am »
OK - Just guessing - Ears say Husky to me.  I agree with the post that said something about his paws.  My mals have wide huge paws.  My husky (Alaskan not Siberian) has a much narrower paw.  Up here the huskys are built for speed  -so a much leaner body and the mals are built for power - just much broader.  My mals are from the same litter - nut look very different and both have crazy dropped ears.  My big boy (at 11 months 125 lbs) could pass for a mixed Saint due to his dropped ears.  My lil girl (111 lbs) definitely looks mal - even with the ears.  My husky looks totally different (Alaskan Huskys are the "mutt" as my husband would say mix breed for sledding) skinny, strong, not thick or double-coated like the mals - but HUGE pointy ears.   

Whatever ge turns out to be he is absolutely GORGEOUS!

Good Luck!  Keep us posted!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 05:05:28 am »
Ahaha!!!! Thank you for posting those extra pics, I know what he is now! He's a WOOLY!!!! I'd bet on it.

That's why he looks like he has so much fur, and thats why he is so large.

He is a siberian, but he has what is known as the "Wooly" gene...a fairly uncommon recessive genetic trait. here are some pics of what he will look like as an adult. http://www.huskycolors.com/wooly.html

You're in for some annoying grooming, and despite the DQ in the ring, I gotta say, there is nothing cuter then a woolie puppy  ;D

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:06:06 am by whiskeyandsake »

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 05:41:12 am »
LOL, Shawn at first I thought that you were kidding when you said a "Wooly" since I was about to post that I think that he's a "Stuffy" because he's just flat too darn cute to be real.  :D  It's great though that you have a much better guess than mine!  ;)  ;D

Anyway, welcome Rastadogg & I love your sweet boy.  He really is gorgeous.   ;D  :-*

Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 08:11:59 am »
I second the Wooly sibe, he is georgous though :) And paws, wow, Adak looked like he would topple over with his huge feet! He had huge ears and paws, I will post some pics of him later today

Offline rastadogg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 06:42:03 pm »
Thanks whiskeyandsake, now i have a better idea of his heritage. I cant wait for the fur 'blowouts' i keep reading about. woohoo. Thats ok though, they are well worth the little annoyances. I love the conversations they have. who needs TV when you have talking dogs.  :D

now, about the chewing everything...(i know, its a puppy thing)