Author Topic: Crate training question  (Read 1997 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Crate training question
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:33:42 pm »
ok it has been a couple of years since I crate trained.  Bell and Baxter were pretty easy to train but Buble is more difficult. 

As soon as you shut the door he starts this horrible screaming like someone is killing him and then starts to howl until his voice starts to go horse. 

I know that you dont go in the room until they have stopped crying and you dont let them see you because they feel like their crying has worked.  The only thing is that it is breaking my heart to hear him. 
My husband said the pregnancy has made me loose my edge because I used to be the one telling my husband not to go in the room because they would continue to cry.

My question is do I let him out as soon as he stops crying? or do I leave him in there a certain period of time? 

I know that he needs to feel like we are coming back and it is only his first week from his brothers and sisters :'(
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Crate training question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 10:42:02 pm »
i am no expert on this one, but i would say wait about 5 mins the first time, then 10, then 15 until you get to about an hour. puppies (that i know of) don't really have a sense of exact time, but they can differ from a couple of mins to an hour i am sure. it's just like potty training right? we worked our way up to 4-6 hours from each potty break for them. i am sure it's the same way with kennels. good luck! peyton was the same way, would cry and cry and cry until one day she was fine with it. nights were horrible though. really truly, good luck!
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:52:11 pm »
Grace was a screamer too.  you just have to wait it out...let them cry it out like you did your kids. 
I broke down too though and let her out when it got bad, but we're through that now.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:00:26 am »
Is he in a room in his crate with the other dogs? Maybe he would do better if he doesn't feel alone? I'm just guessing here, I'm not a puppy person, but that's what came to mind when I read your post.

I agree with the special crate treats, those things worked really well with Tipper (he was 2 yrs old at the time). I put an extra special morsel in his crate and encouraged him to find it in there, that way he learned that the crate was a place to go in and find yummy stuff. I didn't shut the door at first, just let him find the treat, then after a couple times of leaving the door open, then I would shut it briefly when he went in to find his treat, and then gradually increased the time that I closed the door.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:02:31 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:24:58 pm »
Yea that is pretty much what I thought would need to be done. 

The only thing about the short periods of time is that the moment you shut the door he starts screaming so should i wait until done to get him or go get him after five minitues even though he is screaming?
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:52:55 pm »
he is 7 weeks old