Author Topic: OT-Not an Aprils Fools  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
OT-Not an Aprils Fools
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:22:51 pm »
There is a nation wide trucking strike planned for tomorrow 04-01-08,some of the bigger companies more then likely will not shut down as well as some independents.H ow does this effect you- well as with all causes there are those that are very extreme in their beliefs over the shut down and aren't afraid to show it.The last time there was a similar one some of those trucks that didn't strike were targets.People would stand on bridges and over pases and throw rocks,bricks, what ever are trucks passsing under.There were people in trucks injured and killed as well as people in cars,you know that rock can't tell the difference in a truck or car.In the 70's the strike got so out of control in PA that the National Guard was called in.So keep your eyes open and becareful around those bridges and over passes.

Try not to blame the truckers either,they are only out there trying to make a living.Think about what it costs us to fill up and then compare it to the fact they are paying over $4.00 a gallon,and their average fill up costs them $1200.00 and they might only get 5-6 miles per gallon.And also think about the fact with the rising cost to run their trucks they are having to raise their rates,which is passed on to the consumers buying the products they deliver.So if you see someone targeting a trucker tomorrow,report them.If you support their cause,don't buy gas tomorrow,every little bit helps.And when you see a trucker say thanks!!!
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: OT-Not an Aprils Fools
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:53:49 pm »
AMEN !
-Amy (a trucker's wife  :) )
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Haulin Mastiff

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:02:57 pm »
DEFINATE AMEN  Matt drives a truck and it is getting really hard to make ends meet with all the expence and rising fuel cost.  We have really been stugling lately.  I used to go with him, but I have to stay home and work now.  We just cant afford it. Please dont look bad on the truckers.  They really are a good group of people and are just trying to make it out there. :) Right now they are sacrificing a lot being away from their families and still coming him broke!  It is so hard for everyone.  Thanks for your support!
Dante-5 mon male OEM
Alex-9 yr female Dalmatian
Dakota-11 yr skin baby
Zack-6 yr skin baby

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:08:45 pm »
OK, I totally understand the need for the impact of this strike to hit our legislators. Gas prices are WAAAAYYY out of hand, and no one can seem to give a good reason for the steep rise in prices.

However, my cups and lids for Starbucks are delivered on Tuesdays and I shudder to think what would happen if I didn't get those; and I want to stay in bed and pull the covers over my head if **gasp** the strike extends to Wednesday and I don't get my supplies order.

My customers get very testy when we run out of ANYTHING!!

But, power to the truckers!! I hope it works.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:31:47 am »
Most Truckers haven't had a pay raise in YEARS . They've been scraping by for so long it's not even funny . If truckers stop , AMERICA stops . Anything you eat , wear , drink , play with , etc , (well , except our dogs . LOL ) have been brought to you by a truck .The materials to build the house you live in , the road you drive on , EVERYTHING ! Even the expensive gas you need to drive your car ... HECK , even your CAR was brought to you by a truck . Including your dog food ! We NEED them . Something has got to change . We ( a family of 6) are living off of less than $600 a week before taxes . It's not easy and my husband puts in 13 to 16 hour days .

Stopping in the middle of a highway is extreme , but truckers are becoming desperate . You wouldn't believe how many Owner Operators have had to either park or sell their trucks . It's mostly just the big companies that can still afford to keep going any more .

So while fuel rates are at a record high , and prices of food are climbing ,etc , tuckers still get payed the same . It's horrible . They don't get to raise their rates because there's always someone who will do it for less....

Okay , I'm done now  ;D
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:47:41 pm »
Goodluck to all of the truckers and thier families. Sometimes extreme measures need to be taken to open peoples eyes to things they arent aware of. I was not aware truckers hadnt had a raise in so long. So I hope the strike has a positive outcome for the people who do the hard work! Good luck and stay safe.  Brooklily's mum
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:01:58 pm »
My heart goes out to the Truckers. It really does. Up here the cost of gas is well over $3.00 a gal. and Diesel is .70 cents higher than no lead!

Actually, on the point of everything being brought to us by truck, I think we can add our Pets to that list as well. The Trucking Community has been vital in the roll of Rescue across this country. Not for gain. But through the goodness of their hearts.

I support the Truckers and their Families. It's bad. Very bad right now. But it's going to get worse if something doesn't change.

All this ~ while the Oil Execs are making RECORD PROFITS!!! And they're getting Billions in Federal subsidies!

What's wrong with this picture?

OK. Now I'm off my bandstand. (For now) But I wish these fine people the very best in this effort to draw attention to the real problems.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:47 pm »
Hi,

I too support the truckers and hope they get the Raise and money they deserve!!

BUT Why do we all feel so entitled to cheaper gas to power OUR fuel hungry demands!! The average US household has 3+ cars, we use less and less public transportation every year, we are buying bigger and bigger televison sets (powered by fuel) and vehicles to travel in. Europe and other countries pay far more for a gallon of gas then we do but we have no problem dumping $5.00 for a 16 oz starbucks latte.

Until WE ALL start using less fossil fuels we will continue to see the cost of them rise, We are just complaining to complain we want our fuel sucking toys but don't want to hear that they are causing the rise in fuel costs.

Ride a bicycle, reuse grocery bags,  car pool to the grocery store, turn the TV, Stereo, air conditioning, and all those little clocks and lights on our electronic components off.

I also am unhappy looking at $4.00 a gallon of gas this summer, but I will travel closer to home, walk Winslow more often ;-) use my bicycle and be outside so i can shut all the power sucking products off and maybe even loose a few pounds and be healthier in general.

Instead of buying something that uses fuel buy a stock in one of the big oil companies so you make money when thay make money!!

Sorry for the rant!! But we can do a lot more when we realise our involvemment in the problem and change our behavior instead od expecting SOME BIG companies behavior to change!   
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:02:38 pm »
I completely agree . But what about us in rural areas ? There is no public transportation . And what about us with larger families ? We have to have a larger vehicle to have enough seat belts .

We have one tiny tv , we don't drink coffee . we don't even drink sodas anymore . We are about as frugal as you can get , but we have pets . They are the one luxary we still have .

I think we're headed for another depression  :-[

-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 04:23:17 pm »
Hi,

I am not meaning to criticize at all, obviously you are making smart decision and the most appropriate for you and your family and your situation. I commend you for it!!

I value truckers, teachers and social workers and I do want and hope they make a decent wage with the ability to support themselves and their families. 

My concern is for those that think we are entitled to an unlimited supply of fuel without need to conserve and change our consumption habits in these difficult times!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 04:23:57 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 04:33:03 pm »
Winslow , I didn't feel as if you were criticizing me at all !  :)

-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 04:33:31 pm »
Hey,

I'm in support for truckers getting a raise. But I also agree that we need to save our environment. I used to bike to work, but now I moved to a new city and travel between offices. But when I am in the downtown office I use public transportation . My husband bikes to work  :) I also started composting! So much less waste. And the cat litter I get is made from pine so it is flushable and compostable. For those who own cats, I highly recommend it can't smell it at all! Sorry not meaning to sound like I am on a high horse, but we really can make a difference.  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 08:32:59 pm »
OK Close to home here- My husband is a trucker- He put 1900.00 in fuel in the truck last week.

The government also has to look at the tax that is associated with each gallon of diesel. It is out of control with both the big oil companies and the government and I dont see it getting better any time soon.

My husband hasnt had a pay raise in about 2 years- he is gone about 5 days a week and he is just trying to make ends meet. I work and HAVE to drive to work each day. My street doesnt have a name- its a Farm to Market road, so guess what- no public transportation here either.

I drive a small single cab, beat up, paid for Mazda truck every day to work and on most of my rescue missions- get a visual of a full size Pyr sharing the small cab with a short round woman- but the rescue business is a non profit and trust me - there is no profit. To get Riley and the Mastiff out of the kill shelter in Louisiana- it cost me 135.00 in gas because I had to take the big truck that is parked 5-6 days a week- but the dogs didnt die.

These fuel prices are everyones problem, my family is lucky- we will survive this crisis, but so many will not. The additional fuel cost gets passed on to US, the consumer. So instead of paying 2.00 for that loaf of bread, you are going to pay 3.00.

The truckers strike was not well coordinated or planned- its barely making the news. My husband is not on strike, it would not have accomplished anything- but he is aware of the possibility of retaliation from those few who are on strike.

Thanks to all of you guys who support us- and thanks to all who are trying to make a difference with thier fuel consumption-but guess what- That is the reason prices went up. According to a recent report, our fuel consumption for the United States has declined since July 2007, the oil companies were not making the revenue that they had forecasted from the consumption the previous year, so they cut back on refining.

Complain to the people in the Senate and Congress about the refineries and the lack of new ones. We have not had a new refinery built many many years.

I am as concerned about the enviroment as most people but when it comes down to being able to go to work and buy the fuel and to being able to afford the groceries to feed your family or interrupting the enviroment for a new refinery- I think that I am going to have to choose feeding the family first.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 09:16:11 pm »
I am really sorry that you all are going through this rough time. I work in HR and with the cost of living it is HORRIBLE that your spouses haven't had a raise is years! Something has to be done! I never knew it was so bad, I live in Candada. The drivers here make a pretty decent wage. As far as I know. Especially the ones that work in the far north.
The word needs to get out there because I think a lot of people are like me and they just don't know the real situation.

Go figure huh we use less fuel and it still costs us more!
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 09:24:28 pm »
Nina > Yeah , your tuckers up north make the big bucks ! hehe My hubby loves that show "Ice road truckers" , he tried to apply but they won't take any non-citizans  ;D Or at least won't take anyone without a work permit , and you can't get a work permit without a job offer . Go figure ! LOL
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle