Author Topic: A Little Rough With the Cats?  (Read 7479 times)

Offline djrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
A Little Rough With the Cats?
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:32:54 am »
We just got a 9 week old Great Pyr (Noah) . He is a great dog and a happy addition to the family the only thing is that he seems to be a little rough with one of the cats. The cat seems to enjoy it half the time but the other half it seems like it's just trying to find a spot where he can't get to her. Is this just merely his herding instinct (he  grabs her "Gently" on the back of her neck and flips her on her back). Is this normal and he will grow out of it or is this something I should correct asap.

Thank You

Offline djrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Rough With the Cats?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:09:55 am »
Thanks for the advice....we figured as much, but didn't want him to become overly aggressive. 

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:33:23 am »
I agree cats are pretty good at letting dogs know when enough is enough.Bryce played with mab carrying her around in his big mouth he did some not nice things to her and she adores him they sleep together she cleans him and they love each other! Now Angus was a different story they will never be friends he spits at the dogs and growls at them he will never hang with the big dogs!Angus is a 16 pound cat and he is not to be messed with.The dogs know it but they sometimes love to play with FIRE. Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 01:42:24 pm »
Hi and Welcome ;D
First of all Pyrs arent herding dogs,they are Guardians..LGD s.I would treat the cat ordeal as I would with the pyrs that are to be with goats and sheep,When a young pup and want to play rough they need to be reprimanded not to play rough with the livestock,Noah is 9 weeks old and being a pup but I would reprimand him when he gets to rough.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:23:53 am »
Hello and Welcome!!!  :D

I'm among the group that says the cat will take care of itself.  Every cat I've ever known, has had the ability to tell a dog to F right off when it needed to.  ;)  Do start teaching Drop it, and Leave it cause that will help, but mostly let the cat set the rules, she was there first, and she'll let Noah know when she's had enough.  ;)

BTW:  We'd LOVE to see some pictures of your babies!  ;) ;D

My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 01:38:24 am »
Issy is pretty rough with Stone, not as rough as she used to be though!!!  I have taught her "leave it" (she remembers it when she wants to!) and it works with Stone for the most part.  BUT I have also seen Stone walk up to her, slap her, and start a chase through the house!!  When she does get to rough he lets her know and when he's over it he goes somewhere that she can't get him! 

They'll work out their own system.  I would teach him some commands though just to let him know when enough is enough.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:20:33 am »
Hi djrs & welcome!  Noah sounds like a mischievous little sweetie.  Is you cat declawed or is she fully armed?  If she has her claws then I'd be less concerned.  Seems like most puppies like to check out those funny smelling furry creatures that live with us.   ;)  ;D  Chances are though that as long as the kitty has a good hiding place to get away from the puppy, that she'll be fine while she "trains" him.  Although, if it looks like he's getting too rough with her, then I'd definitely step in and correct him.  Between kitty & reminders from you, he will learn quickly.   ;)  Around here, it's a common to find a cat & one of the dog's heads on my lap at the same time.  It gets pretty crowded, but we're all cozy & content.  LOL
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline djrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 08:29:52 am »
Thank you for all the help. I'm working on the "Drop it" command with Noah and it seems to be working ;D 

Thank You again

P.S. I will upload some picture ASAP

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 07:21:28 pm »
I agree the cats will take care of themselves and everybody will naturally find their places in the pet hierarchy.  Sierra torments the heck out of my cats.  She has since day one in our house and it will be year tomorrow since we brought her home.  Oscar just hisses, smacks at her and runs, Gina actually seems to enjoy the attention.  She'll squeak like crazy and then suddenly hiss and smack Sierra's face but then a second later, jump up to rub against the dog's face.  I've stopped trying to correct Sierra.  She is a littel rough, but I think it's just because she's a big oaf who doesn't know her own strength.  You may want to consider giving the cats a safe place if you're very concerned.  My cats know that our bedroom is their safe place.  Sierra isn't allowed in the bedroom and the cats know they can run there if the dog gets to be too much. 

Hopefully Noah is a little smarter than my blockhead...Ou r outside cat, Angel, has her claws (the other two don't) and she has nailed Sierra a few times.  The dog came running up to me one time outside and shoved her bloody nose in my hand, I figured out why she was bleeding and as soon as I let go of her collar, the idiot ran right back to cat and starting harrassing her again.  She'll never learn!

I would watch to make sure Noah doesn't get too aggressive with the kitties, other than that I wouldn't worry too much.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer