Author Topic: 2 versus 1 doberman ???  (Read 12564 times)

Offline sharie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
2 versus 1 doberman ???
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:39:01 am »
Hi everyone, I just registered so this is my first post so I hope I am doing this right. My husband & I are getting a Dobeman pup in early July. This will be a 2nd Dobe. Our first Dobe (Mason) was put to sleep Sept 07. at the age of 7.5 yrs.  He had Cardio Myopathy. Needless to say it was heartbreaking for us & it has taken us from Sept to be ready & strong enough to take a chance on another Dobe. We have been tossing around the idea of getting 2 puppies & would like some input for those of you who have 2 Dobes. Basically we want to know the good, bad & the ugly.
Thanks, Sharie

Offline sharie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: 2 versus 1 doberman ???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:07:35 pm »
Wow answers so quick, I am so glad I found this forum & thank you for making me feel welcome. I wish I had discovered it when my Mason was still alive. I had a lot of issues with him & did not know any other Dobe owners to talk to about them. I like the idea of waiting a year in between both dogs. I might be getting more than I can handle with 2 puppies at the same time. Everyone I know who has 2 dogs say they would never go back to 1 dog which is what got me thinking on 2 dogs. 

Offline sharie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »
Here is a pic of Mason. I hope this is not too sad. We miss him so much, but it helps to look at his picture plus it makes us that much more anxious for our new puppy. He loved his tennis balls.

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:39:59 pm »
I bet there are limitless tennis balls where he is now. My love to Mason.  also welcome to the site!  Brooklily's mum
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:33:09 pm »
First off Welcome :D

Secondly,So sorry for the loss of Mason,I lost my beloved Dobie back in 03 to Wobblers Syndrome at the age of 10.

I had 2 dobies,1 was male 1 was female,The pair got along great!I never had any issues with aggression toward each other,Wonderful dogs,I Love them! I now have 3 dogs so I think regardless of breed multiple dogs can be a challenge..but rewarding the same ;D
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:05:12 pm »
Welcome....we have five dogs right now, newf-2 year old female, irish wolfhound-19 month female, irish wolfhound- 8 month female, newf-4 month female, and a borzoi(russian wolfhound)- 8 week old female.  It is crazy here when it is pee time, and the accidents that the new pup has, and the 4 month pup has all the energy along with the 8 week pup.  Its crazy!!!!  Training is going well, but a process you can't do alone.  I have kids to help me with the jobs that need to be done with 5 dogs.
I agree on waiting for at least 6 months, then the first pup will be housebroken and then you can start all over again.  we waited 4 months between two of the dogs and that worked, with us though we had to be careful that the puppy wouldn't get stepped on by the bigger and older dogs.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:44:46 pm »
Mason was handsome - I'm so sorry! My son's name is Mason, so these posts all look very morbid to me!

IMHO, two is easier than one, but double puppies are certainly at least quadrouple the work! Maybe consider an adult rescue and a puppy? If you contact your local Dobie rescue org. they may even have two pups that are already bonded and need a home.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline sharie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:08 pm »
Thank you all for the kind words & support. I enjoy looking at the pics of all your dogs, so cute. I do not think I will try & tackle 2 dogs from the same litter, however down the road once puppy is a little older, maybe consider adding another dog. I have another question. Did your Dobe whine & if so how did handle it? I know it is a trait of this breed, but sometimes it is annoying especially when you have guests & your dogs sits in front of them constantly whining for attention. I definitely think they like to let everyone know, "hey I am the center of attention here, lets not forget that & if you do I will whine to help you remember".   

Offline JLEE1215

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:09:32 pm »
hi shari, i just signed on as a new member.  my dobie, aries, 7 years old was just diagnosed yesterday with cardiomyopathy and i am heartbroken.  he has absolutely no signs, ultrasound was done after vet heard a heart murmur, so we are just shocked.  he has started him on medications, but they are shocked he has no signs because i guess its pretty advanced.  aries is one of 2 puppies we got at the same time, and i would do it again in a minute.  they play with each other, and tire each other out, and i find it much easier having two puppies than one.  go for it.  and if you can please tell me what to expect as the cardiomyopathy progresses i would love to hear your thoughts, jeanne

Offline sharie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 06:30:06 pm »
Boy your story sounds just like mine. Here is our story; Mason started out with 1 symptom, coughing. This occured on a weekend, so Monday morning I took him to the vet. I thought he just had some sort of infection & antibiotics would take care of it. I was thrown for a loop when the vet wanted to check his heart. He was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy March 07, a disease which I had never heard of until that day. I also never knew that Dobes have a high risk for the disease. The vet did an EKG & took an x-ray his heart & showed my how enlarged it was. He then scheduled an echocardiagram with a cardiologist for further examination. Mason was immediately put on meds. approx 7 kinds, some were people meds which I got at the drug store. The most important heart medicine came from England as it is not approved in the U.S. & cost about 130.00 for a months supply. Mason had 2 echos & went for a vet check every 1-2 weeks to check his heart rate which was much higher than it was supposed to be. The vet said no excercise for Mason (well you try telling that to a Dobe) We decided to still play with him & take him on walks without over doing it. We left him rest on his walks & he left us know when he had enough. We were determined to let him enjoy the rest of his life. Mason was put to sleep Sept 07. The comforting thing is I trully believe he was ready. The symptoms Mason had were ocassional coughing, heavy breathing & tiring out much faster than usual. A lot of dobes have the disease before any symptoms develop. Dobes with this disease can live 6 months to a few years. I did a lot of research on the internet on this disease. If there is any other info. you want please feel free to contact me. Your dog will be in my prayers.

Offline shariesdobies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 02:00:00 am »
Hi Sharie,

I have two dobie's. I got my female first when she was about 10 weeks old. I then got my male dobie, age 6 weeks old. they are now almost 4 years old. It has been a hard but very rewarding job! They are member's of our family.Are you planning on getting male & female? I have a litter due July 15th. If you get a male & a female I would suggest that you get them from different breeder's unless your not going to breed or show, then you would have to get them fixed. Two female sister's are known to grow up fighting each other. Always trying to steal the spotlight. If you get two males they will fight too. I am a occasional breeder. I love dobermans my name is also Sharie! Let me know if you have any questions, I can answer any question for you.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 06:08:57 am »
Mason was a handsome boy!  IMO, 2 is the way to go.  You go through the puppy phase and training all at once,  they are together from day one, so less chance of the new pup not being accepted or being beat up till he is.  My only experience with 2 pups at the same time was with a smaller breed..Minatur e pinshers.  They were littermates and 7 weeks old when we brought them home.
Best of luck in whatever you decide and dont forget to show us the homecoming pictures!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak