Author Topic: English Mastiff Behavior Problems....  (Read 10656 times)

Offline SJRAMROD

• Gnawer
  • Brandy
    • View Profile
English Mastiff Behavior Problems....
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:35:08 am »
  My English Mastiff Brandy is currently 10 months old and we've had her since she was 8 weeks of age. Most of the day she is a wonderful, well behaved dog but......aroun d 11 PM everynight, she decides it's play time! She will bark like crazy at my wife and I. If you try to ignor her, she will start to nip at your hands and feet. She then runs around like a nut through all of the rooms in the house. At 130 lbs., she's like a freight train....lol. Anyway, she won't come to you. In fact, she runs from you when you try to catch her. This can last up to 30 minutes or more.
  Any suggestions... ....? We do try to walk her and play with her during the day but, she doesn't seem to play outside. She gets distracted to easily. She ONLY plays and runs in the darn house......lol! Crazy, huh? t's seems as though she just want you to chase her or something and will stop at nothing until we do. Like I said......the barking, niping and sometimes mild biting will last for 30 minutes or more. She does not understand the word "NO". She just doesn't get it.
  We've had several other large breed dogs which include the Rot, Shepard, and Akida so.......we are not new to dog training but, this dog is really testing us. I honestly think that she feels as though she is just playing but, she can really hurt you and won't calm down.
  Interesting though......sh e won't bark when the doorbell rings but will bark at us for a half an hour straight.....!
  Anyone experiance the same types of behavior problems? More importantly... .....any solutions?

Thanks........ Ed

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: English Mastiff Behavior Problems....
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:14:25 am »
I will second the "snobby teenager" thought.  In my experince over the years with giant breed dogs, between 8-13 onths they can really start to test your patince.  I have told storeis about my Great Dane eating Mini Blinds or my Bull Mastiff eating redwood patio furniture.  Make sure the keep your pup active and do not reinforce the bad behavior.  She will come around in a short while.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:43:45 pm »
Titan USED to do the same thing. He had 3 20min walks a day. Play time in the back yard for a good hour or so...there would be no reason at 11:00 to run play and bite. That excatly what he would do. So we closed our bedroom door. We have always put a baby gate at the top of the stairs with all the bedroom doors closed and left him in the hallway with his bed. the 1st night he winned and winned to get in as soon as he layed down and was settled I opened the door. He walts right in and laid down quietly. The next night he started up at 11:00 and all I had to do was walk to the door and he ran into our bedroom and layed right down. Mastiffs hate being alone... so for that 10min he was with no one was like a lifetime to him.
Hope this helps and good luck!
Adrienne
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 07:45:03 pm by Apreston »

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:56:45 pm »
It's called the zoomies.

Beau had them every night at 7:00pm like clockwork.

I've discovered that Mastiff's are also called "land sharks".

I agree with that!! ;D

My boy was a monster.  I wore 3 layers of clothing the first summer that we had him.
He also chewed his leash & pulled while we walked.
At obedience the instructor liked the fact that he had "spunk".

I offered to trade dogs with her.

That's why I tell everyone who will listen that I will NEVER again do a puppy.
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)