Author Topic: Any advice or info on pet insurance  (Read 2035 times)

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Any advice or info on pet insurance
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:59:37 am »
I would love some input on peoples experience and suggestions for pet health insurance. I live in the Boston area and the level of care here is fantastic , but very expensive. Im thinking of getting it next week and have been looking at , A.S.P.C.A. insurance and V.P.I. insurance. Im open to other suggestions, and also wondering about plan choices. Please let me know . The info is quite overwhelming when you start to look into it. I want to make the correct choice for Brooklily,and my wallet ::). Thanks B.P.O. Brooklily's mum
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice or info on pet insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:30:11 am »
I wish I could help you... We are getting insurance too but we  HAVE to in order to do any sort of dog classes. The lowest we can get for two GSD is 3 mill Euros. Like they could ever cause that much damage!

Good luck on finding someone that is affordable.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:02:33 am »
There was a thread on this topic not too long ago. I had posted a link to an article about how to determine if pet insurance is right for your situation. I'll see if I can find it!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:07:27 am »
Here's the link to the previous thread. Hope this works, I haven't tried a link in a post like this...

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,21761.0.html
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:08:50 am »
I was going to get an insurance when I got Lily but decided to wait a while. This year I sat down and calculated all the medical expenses from 1.5 year and compared it to what I would have paid if I had insurance...It's not worth it with a healthy dog! And if you want it just for accidents than you could save the money that you would pay monthly to insurance Co.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline sharie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 09:33:07 am »
Good morning all:  We had V.P.I. pet insurance a couple of yrs ago. We had the cheapest plan & the coverage was not good. If I recall the insurance covered anything resulting from an injury or accident. Obviously the best & most beneficial plan is the top plan but not everyone can afford it, which was our case. My advice is really researh each insurance co. & their plans to determine what is best for you & your dog. WE are currently expecting a new Doberman puppy in July so we have been putting any extra money in a vet fund for "just in case"