Author Topic: Are blue eyes okay for Mastiffs and Great Pyrenees?  (Read 22371 times)

Offline Penny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Are blue eyes okay for Mastiffs and Great Pyrenees?
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:44:50 pm »
I have generally stayed away from getting a great dane with blue eyes, as in some cases it can indicate deafness.  However, can it be normal/safe for English Mastiffs or Mastiff/Great Pyrenees to have blue eyes?  I've seen some beautiful Mastiff and Mastiff mix puppies with blue eyes but am wary in case they will be deaf.

Also, if you could share your experience or site any sources that would be really helpful.  I'm not finding much info online on mastiffs with blue eyes specifically.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: Are blue eyes okay for Mastiffs and Great Pyrenees?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:24 pm »
Did you see the dogs or pciture of the dogs with blue eyes.  I have many pictures of my Mastiff when he was a pup and his eyes look baby blue, but in reality they were not.  The recessive gene associated with Danes & Blue eyes does not automaticaly equate to a hearing issue.  Odd;s are if the pup can hear when they are young they will not develope an issue down the road.

I have generally stayed away from getting a great dane with blue eyes, as in some cases it can indicate deafness.  However, can it be normal/safe for English Mastiffs or Mastiff/Great Pyrenees to have blue eyes?  I've seen some beautiful Mastiff and Mastiff mix puppies with blue eyes but am wary in case they will be deaf.

Also, if you could share your experience or site any sources that would be really helpful.  I'm not finding much info online on mastiffs with blue eyes specifically.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:27:15 pm »
Blue eyes in a mixed breed pyr or mastiff doesn't necessarily mean a dog is deaf.  Depends what else is in the mix.

You can find lots of info on blue eyes and the merle gene on the internet. 

It would be easy to test a pup to see if it was deaf.  Deaf dogs are a huge responsibility(especially a house with young children) and I don't think appropriate for everyone.  It takes a special kind of person for a special needs dog.

Just a FEW links to get you started:

http://www.aussielads.com/Trouble%20with%20Merle.htm

http://www.genmarkag.com/download/Factsheet_Merle_Gene.pdf
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:30:37 pm by FXgirl »

Offline Penny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 04:29:50 pm »
True . . . I had a deaf cat once who was the sweetest girl around. (my husband would say "sweet cat = oxymoron," but she was)  You know, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if it was a shelter dog who needed a home, but I don't especially want to encourage breeders who aren't careful and are producing deaf dogs, you know? These are puppies, so I'm wondering if it's normal. We've looked into mastiff rescues, but there aren't a whole lot of big dogs in our area. My husband has wanted a mastiff for a long time so I'm looking into various options as a surprise for him.

Thanks for your input :)

Offline Penny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:34:29 pm »
Good point . . . we looked at three litters and I noticed the coloring later in the pictures when I was going everything and trying to make a decision.  To be honest, I don't remember from looking at them, they were just so blue in the picture and looked natural, but maybe it's hard to tell. The breeder said they were vet checked, so maybe I'll just call the vet to find out more. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:15:35 pm by grommit »

Offline Penny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:35:54 pm »
This board is awesome . . . thanks for the help with the links :)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:11:23 pm »
I guess i can see where you are coming from, although i still think they are easier then the hearing dogs...jmo... oh yeah...sorry welcome aboard!!!

Offline Penny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 05:26:36 pm »
What kind of signals do they know? I've had rhodesian ridgebacks, labs, and danes and have just used very basic verbal commands . . . sit, stay, come.  How would you even tell a deaf dog to come?  I guess if it sticks around you anyway, it's there, but if not, that might be hard. Okay, I'm obviously very new to this forum thing with dogs . . . growing up I had a lot of pets, but this is the first time I'm at the point in my life where I will have my own dog.  We just got married and we're moving next month to a house. I'm very excited . . . mostly because we can get a dog!

lorim2

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:46:33 pm »
Hi and welcome!  I am Lori, mom to many..includin g Marley the OEM...He had the prettiest blue eyes when we got him at 8 weeks!  No there brown and equally as pretty..and such a love to have around!  I am also a Petsitter and one of my clients is a Border Collie with beautiful blue eyes and she is deaf.  She is an absolute love and I so enjoy her.  She is trained with hand signals.  She is so very smart and sweet but I totally agree with the other post.  I think you must ask yourself if your ready for that commitment.  Fortunately I just care for my deaf friend because I dont know if I have it within me to take on a deaf puppy.  Anyway...welco me and cant wait to see pics of whatever you guys decide to get!  Congrats on the marriage too!!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 05:47:42 pm »
I use hand signals for everything...i f my dog ignores me I use very sturdy voice after, just to put her in place.
BTW, Pyrs are known as breed that don't "come". I always used "come" command in the ring (I am preparing her for obedience competition). She was lacking drive on recall so I switched to a hand signal and now she actually runs to me...I guess signals are more dramatic and dogs react faster to it :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 06:50:33 pm »
BTW, Pyrs are known as breed that don't "come". I always used "come" command in the ring (I am preparing her for obedience competition). She was lacking drive on recall so I switched to a hand signal and now she actually runs to me...I guess signals are more dramatic and dogs react faster to it :-\

May I ask what hand signal you use for this? And do you make huge motions...or is it just something little? haha

*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Penny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 06:53:56 pm »
Your mastiff is gorgeous!  I'm excited.  Thanks for your input everyone, I really appreciate it :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 07:02:07 pm »

May I ask what hand signal you use for this? And do you make huge motions...or is it just something little? haha

I raise my right hand and place it on my left shoulder FAST!
When I started I was screaming "COME" while making a signal so she would associate it with something super crazy so she would hurry :D

Modified: I only use it in the ring...I don't think she hears or sees me else where LOL!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:04:26 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:01 pm »
Modified: I only use it in the ring...I don't think she hears or sees me else where LOL!

Yeah, I was gonna say...I think that would be pretty much impossible to use on the streets. Miles barely even looks at me....let alone performs any command. :P

I was just thinking...I wonder how I could get his attention without saying his name..and decided it's not happening. hahaha ::)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 08:09:36 pm »
Hand signals with dogs is great! I was encouraged to use hand signals when training Tipper as dogs are so sensitive to body language. I have a hand signal that goes with each verbal command and I rarely even use verbal commands anymore.  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven