Mastiffs > Bullmastiff Discussions & Pictures

April swimming anyone?

(1/3) > >>

2Criminals:
Took Phelan to the dogpark today, nice bright sunny day, most of the snow has melted making it pretty muddy. Normally we walk down one side of the park, pass in front of the pond and walk along the other side. Today, however, the path was very muddy so I decided to turn back before we got to the pond. Apparently Phelan was not to be deterred, so when I called him to come, he ran in the other direction >:( So I followed him (thank god) and watched him walk out onto the still frozen over pond, calling him back the entire time. He has apparently decided today is the day of independence, walks out to the middle (15ft out) and CRASHES through!! Now my silly Bullmastiff LOVES the water but doesn't actually swim! So I gave him a chance to get his feet up onto the ice as I think most dogs would do. No, no feet up on the ice, just sinking and looking at me with sheer panic. So I of course being S.M.R.T walk out onto the ice KNOWING I too am going to crash through, get about a foot from him and fall through. Pull him up between us, crashing that barrier, get him in front of me holding him up and breaking the ice between us and shore. It was not warm :o Thank god I'm tall and could touch on my tip toes, and it was just a pond. Funny part (there is one) is I then walked back through the park absolutely drenched in the middle of April and no one said a word ::) Silly puppy- back to NILIF we go.

lins_saving_grace:
I hope it's ok to giggle about that...now you're ok and no one sank.  :)  That was a cute story. 
And no one wants to make a point to ask if you're ok anymore.  Maybe they think Phelan saved YOU.   
Well stay warm and try not to get sick from your cold spring swim.

pyr4me:
Oh my! That does not sound like a fun day at the dog park.  :P  Hope you're all toasty warm and dry now!

Ali:
Awww - poor you guys! You sound like you were calm, but were you really? I would have been completely insanely in a panic if one of my girls fell through ice and was sinking!!! Holy cow! You must have been freakin out! It's so lame that not one person asked if everything was alright, too. So listen, you know I have Phelan on my kidnap list. DO NOT throw him in any more frozen ponds! sheesh.

Binky:
Oh, that must have been scary but now you have a good story at least :)  Glad you're both ok!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version