Author Topic: Sibling Rivaly?  (Read 3067 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Sibling Rivaly?
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:46:31 pm »
OK well as most of yall know we got Buble about a week ago.  Well we introduced him to our dogs on nuetral ground and everything was fine. 

We then took them all for a short walk because that seems to help our dogs in meeting new friends.

Everything has been fine.  Bell moans to him him he get in her space which is a huge bluff.  and Baxter who is our wimp ( I love him anyways) just rolls over and lets th puppy do whatever. 

Last night Buble was playing with Baxter as usual when all of a sudden Baxter jumped up and snapped at Buble.  Well astonished my husband jumped up and grabbed the puppy who was continuing to annoy poor Baxter. 

What should I do?  Buble is a very outgoing confident puppy and that is very important for the show ring but we get on to him and put him in time out when he does stuff like that but he continues to do it.  Does he already sense that Baxter is lower on the hierarchy and is trying to one up him at only 8 weeks old?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Sibling Rivaly?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 02:17:48 pm »
thank you
I was really hoping that it wasnt the case

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:04:24 am »
I agree, too. Pups need to learn how to behave from the older packmates, so it seems like a perfectly appropriate interaction. Jenny isn't a pup, however, shortly after she moved in I had given them both a bully stick. Jenny, of course, finished her stick first and then went over to take Tipper's...well, even though Tipper is an incredibly patient and submissive dog, he is older than Jenny (plus she was the new kid on the block) and he let her know that wasn't ok. Jenny has never tried it again, and they chew their sticks happily together.  :)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:22:29 am »
What if the older two start to snap at him?  This morning Baxter and Buble were playing wrestling on the floor and Buble ran over to Bell who was laying down and tried to play with her too.  She moaned at him at first and he didnt stop so she snapped at him and grabbed his face a little bit but you could tell it wasnt hard just enough to tell him enough. 
Should I punish her for snapping or just leave it alone?  I am scared that it will escalate into something. Then we always put Bell up when we eat because she begs so bad and Baxter and Buble were out.  They were playing and everything was fine when all of a sudden Baxter rolled him and snapped at him. 
I do understand that Buble needs to be punished for bad doggy behavior and I allow it but wasnt sure if everyone should get a timeout after wards to cool down or just let it be?  I just want to avoid an injury to anyone. 

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:47:40 am »
Thank you
I just didnt know if they needed time to cool off.  Yes Buble does not know any boundries whatsoever!!!! Poor baxter is really a good dog.  I was making muffins this morning and turned to see Buble with Baxter's long ear hair in his mouth and Baxter just standing there looking at me like "O I hate my life". 
Bell is different though she never lets buble get away with anything.  She is constently moaning at him.  But I will say that she is alot more impatient with him then she was any of her puppies that she had.  Should I worry about that? 

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 01:48:03 pm »
I think you received excellent advice from everyone who already posted.

Puck did the same "correcting" with Farley and Rosie. Sometimes it seemed harsh but they worked it out.