Author Topic: Newfie Aparment?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Melbell06

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Newfie Aparment?
« on: April 05, 2008, 05:06:13 pm »
Hello I was interested in knowing of people who have Newfoundlands in apartments and how it is working out for them.  I live in an apartment, very active, and want  a companion and LOVE newfies. I just want to make sure living in an apartment will be okay for her. Please help thank you!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Newfie Aparment?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 05:14:43 pm »
Hi Melbell,

First of all, welcome to BPO! You found the right place to ask about giant breeds - there are many knowledgeable owners of newfies and other giant breeds here  :)

I don't have a newfie, but I believe that a newfie is similar enough to other gentle giants and would be perfectly happy in an apartment as long as you are taking him/her on daily walks and giving them lots of playtime outside. They are generally rather mellow, so it's not necessary to have a ton of indoor space as long as you have a place to put an extra large dog bed and room for their food bowls and a little bit of space to walk around. Whats significantly more important than indoor space is how much attention you are going to give your pup, and how much time you are going to spend playing/walking her outside. So as long as your prepared to take her out regularly and give her daily exercise, living in an apartment shouldnt be an issue  :)
RIP former BPO

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:25:45 pm »
Newfies don't require a lot of space, since they're pretty mellow dogs. Space for the doggie basics mentioned above would be adequate. Walking up and down lots of apartment steps would not be advisable for puppies, while their joints and bones are still growing. And you'd have to think about how you plan on taking her outside for potty breaks (particularly when it's still a puppy when you have to take them outside more often). I think Rosie would have done perfectly fine if she lived with us in our old apartment. We had more than enough space to accommodate a sleepy, lazy Newf.

I would also check with the apartment manager to see if they have size restrictions. Most apartment places do.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »
Hi! Newfs do just fine in small spaces since they are so chill & mellow all the time. Bear has primarily grown up in an apartment and is as happy as can be. We take him on walks 3 tmes a day- though the first one at 5:30-6 is the shortest because mom is not so awake.  ;) He regularly goes on playdates & one weekend day is a big outing- a long walk/play date somewhere requiring  car to get there.
The only downside is bath time because there is no backyard to do it in. Bear gets thrown in the tub but if you have $$ to spend, you can do a groomer.
Good luck- Newfies rule!  :) :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.