Author Topic: I may need a new home for Loki  (Read 5238 times)

Offline charlotte5050

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I may need a new home for Loki
« on: August 03, 2005, 07:27:06 am »
I may have to find a new home for Loki.  It's not that she has done anything wrong - it's just that she is TOO playful. 

Loki grew up with my pomeranian, Foxy, and loves to play with her, guard her and protect her.  Last week, when I was going out of the yard, Foxy tried to get out the gate.  Loki put her BIG foot on her to keep her in.  Somehow, Foxy's back got hurt.  I know that she did not do it on purpose, and after a visit to the vet, Foxy is OK now.

Loki does have a tendency to pick Foxy up by her tail when she is going where Loki does not want her to go.  It is funny to see her do that, but now that I know she can cause Foxy some injuries, I need to rethink this.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to all.  If anyone would be interested in providing a new home for Loki, I live in SW Nebr.

Loki is 1 year old (July 3rd) and is just a BIG, lovable baby.  If you want an 80# dog in your lap, she would be perfect.

:( Charlotte
Charlotte

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: I may need a new home for Loki
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 07:42:04 am »
I would try training to teach her to be gentil with Foxy. We have a cat and 2 big dogs and they do try and play with her and chase her but they never touch her, just sniff and they occasional lick. We used the words "Baby" and "Easy"and it has worked wonders.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 08:09:07 am »
i really hope you can figure out how to keep Loki. but i know that things like this can be difficult.

we had a similar problem with a large dog and a small dog, but it was far worse. the large dog was actually ATTACKING the smaller dog, rather than just playing too rough. we were really seriously afraid we'd have to get rid of the larger dog (Rosie). i'll spare you all the details, but in the end we were able to keep her. what we did was really looked hard at the situation and figured out what things were setting off the attacks (it was mostly food centered). then we did everything needed to make sure the two dogs would be seperated during times when attacks could occur. we also were able to recognize behavior in BOTH dogs that might trigger an attack and we have an emergency seperation plan for when we see it. we keep a soft choke collar on the larger dog at all times so we can more easily handle her during those times. training has also helped in the situation, as well as a better understanding of pack order and how to keep it establshed (i read some books on it).

one specific suggestion i have is that maybe Loki needs it reaffirmed to her that you are the boss and not her. especially if she is a young dog, as they go thru periods where they test those limits to see if they can break them (just like human kids!). if you give her good training with specific directions to NOT herd and guard Foxy, the situation might be easier to control.

try not to give up on her. i've been there and know it can feel like the right decision sometimes. but i'm sure there's a solution. hope this was a help.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 07:35:29 pm »
I think the big-dog/little-dog scenario is like any other.  We cross the street and we might become a hit-and-run casualty.  We jump into our automobile and take what we believe to be a quick jaunt to the corner store and we're hit head on by a fourteen year old who has taken grandma's Impala on an impromptu joy ride.

I try to acclimate accidents into my life, too.  They are inevitable.  We fall down.  Kids choke on Kool Aid (Gawd only knows why?).  Sometimes we run into trees while walking too fast, talking on the cell phone and sustain a concussion that kills us...

Oops!

Perhaps Loki will never hurt the little one's back again.  Perhaps she will.  Perhaps a jet will crash into my living room and I will see imaginary rabbits.  Perhaps we will die today.  Maybe Greta will attack Betti and one of them will die.

But, I just keep on doing the best I can...moment to moment.  I love my dogs too much...more than anything else, so I do whatever I can.  But, I cannot speak for everyone.  I understand that. 

Good luck with your decision.  I hope you find the answer that puts you most at ease and is most beneficial in the long run, and to all involved.   :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 07:38:44 pm »
On second thought....Gos h!

Rotties have such a tough life anyway...and even moreso when they have to find a new home.  They can be juggled around a lot, as can any dog, and end up...ultimatel y, at the gas chamber.  I know you may not want to think of that, but that is often what happens...even when we try to ensure that they go to the best home.

I hope she can stay with you.  Teach her a solid down stay.  That will take effort on your part, but she can learn to "leave it" and to stay "down" while you are about with the smaller dog.

You CAN do it!  Please don't give up on her.  Just look into her eyes.  She is a lifelong commitment that you decided to make.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 08:21:00 pm »
On second thought....Gos h!

Rotties have such a tough life anyway...and even moreso when they have to find a new home.  They can be juggled around a lot, as can any dog, and end up...ultimatel y, at the gas chamber.  I know you may not want to think of that, but that is often what happens...even when we try to ensure that they go to the best home.

I hope she can stay with you.  Teach her a solid down stay.  That will take effort on your part, but she can learn to "leave it" and to stay "down" while you are about with the smaller dog.

You CAN do it!  Please don't give up on her.  Just look into her eyes.  She is a lifelong commitment that you decided to make.
Moonlit, I couldn't have said any of it better myself...I know many people who "juggle" their dogs because no matter what they did the dogs would not get along....So, they stay separated but the owner still lived up to their moral comittment to both or all dogs...I am not judging or criticizing so please don't get me wrong...I am jsut saying their are still solutions when all other solutions are exausted...I sat for two mini Chihuahuas for a good period of time...I always worried that Samson would hurt them while in play...I eventually found that the Chi's moxie put Sammy right in his place when doggy push came to doggy shove...I found that what the Chi's couldn't handle from Sammy I could...I stepped in & removed Sam from the situation when I saw the warning signs that play was getting too rough...Eventu ally sam learned that if he wanted to be with the Chi's he had to play nice...Good luck with Foxy & Loki. :)

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 08:44:43 pm »
please don't send Loki away.
Listen to what these folks say on this website.
My rottie is six and just got diagnosed with Lymphoma.
I don't know how I would ever live without her.
I'm sure that your relationship with Loki will be the same.
Rotties share very deep bonding with their people.
At some point around 18 months of age Loki will
mature a bit more.  Then at 2 a bit more, then you
have a remarkable companion.  Do some more training, down, stay,
you could even teach Loki an off command--from your Pom.
Take Loki for a good walk early in the day before it gets too hot.
Please don't send Loki away.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 08:17:10 am »
I just remembered something.

Imagine that!  I already forgot about how this costly, heart-breaking injury took place.  When Greta was about six months old Lou grabbed her by her rear leg and yanked.  It fractured her hip, which, in turn resulted in a $2200 surgery and many months of recovery, plus lifelong pain, stiffness, supplements and really hard times in her middle age.  This happened about 7.5 years ago.  But I can't blame Lou boy.  He was just playing and this fracture is something that happened because all of the conditions were right.  I saw Lou jump on Greta and pull her legs before while they were playing.  Many dogs do that and it CAN result in injury, but most of the time I do not think it does.

Offline kilbaraberry

• Ankle Biter
  • katie and 1/2 of pups
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 05:49:51 am »
im in nys but I know people who have had rotties and other big paws, I could ask around if you deside to definetly find another home for her, if she needs a big playmate they got them and shed be spoiled these people are like me I love animals more then most people!!!!