Author Topic: Hike of Doom  (Read 4779 times)

AudgePadge

Hike of Doom
« on: April 07, 2008, 07:44:05 pm »
Took the boys out to the "wilderness" of Los Angeles Griffith Park over the weekend. Took us quite a while up and down and up and down... Hubby and the young gun Roscoe were LOVIN it...

About 1/2 way through our 6 mile hike, I looked ahead and hubby and 4 month old Roscoe about 100 yards up the mountain...oka y, not really a MOUNTAIN...but a darn steep hill!!

and then I look behind me...and poor old Monty is about 30 yards down the trail...hangin out under some shade as if saying..."you go on ahead, I'll just wait right here"

And by the end...I'm not positive...but, I'm pretty sure I died... I need to get back into shape!! gotta keep up with the boys!

**UPDATE...the last couple pics are what happens when you leave Mommy to die in the "wilderness"!!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:47:36 pm by AudgePadge »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Hike of Doom
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:46:04 pm »
I'm with Monty.

I love your avator!!!!!!!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:46:25 pm »
I love to hang out there. Bear gets pooped so easily too that when we're there we tend to stick to the big grassy areas.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:48:50 pm »
the pictures weren't there when i looked the first time.  Those are great.  you don't think of LA as looking countryish.  Very nice.  and look at the tummy rub break. 

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:17:06 am »
The pic of the back half of Monty all passed out is hilarious!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 08:29:29 pm »
I'd be passed out too!  Great pix!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:54:35 pm »
I have to tell you that my heart stopped briefly when I read your post, then started racing and I felt sick to my stomach.
I am the owner of two mastiffs.
One we have had since he was 8 weeks old.  The advice I got not only from my breeder and vet, but other mastiff people, is NEVER OVER EXERCISE A MASTIFF!
A 6 mile hike is too much for any pup, but especially a mastiff.
These dogs are not meant to go that kind of distance, not even as adults.  They are low exercise dogs.
I know a lot of the dogs on this forum are from the herding group, which exercises more, but you need to think of the masiff as a Sumo wrestler.
Please, please, please gently exercise your baby.
Although Mastiff's are big dogs, they are very delicate.
Yes your pup went the distance, but they are very stoic and will do what you ask them to.
That doesn't mean that all the exercise is good for them.
The first 2 years will be a upward growth for your pup.  The next 2 to 4 years he will fill out.  My 2 year old is 205 pds, and his breeder thinks he will go to 240.  He gets 'gentle' walks and some play time in the yard.

Please check out these mastiff forums that will tell you what you need to know about the breed.  A lot of the posters are breeders who have many years of experience with the breed.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/acslinda

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/mastiffmessageboard

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/2062396443

I know of 2 separate mastiff's that were given unlimited exercise in the first 2 years of their life.
One now has a torn crutiate, and the other has severe hip dysplasia.

From "Your purebred puppy"

Providing the proper balance of exercise. Young Mastiffs need enough exercise to keep them lean and healthy, but not so much that their soft growing bones, joints, and ligaments become over-stressed and damaged. Adult Mastiffs need more exercise to keep them in shape, but not in hot or humid weather for fear of overheating. The proper amount of exercise can be difficult to regulate in giant breeds.

Since you have to minimize their exercise, young Mastiffs can be very rambunctious. They will romp with uncoordinated gawkiness all over your house. You need to substitute extra quantities of companionship and supervision. Otherwise, left alone, young Mastiffs become bored and destructive -- and their powerful jaws can literally destroy your living room.

Here is some info from a breeder site:

http://mastiff25.tripod.com/id15.html

Please remember that I am just very concerned about your puppy.

Chris

Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)