Author Topic: Stress is at an all time high - My Ellie is sick! (UPDATED)  (Read 11466 times)

EllieAndBlu

Re: Stress is at an all time high - My Ellie is sick!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 07:37:32 am »
finally - tomorrow is Ellie's ultrasound - will let y'all know how it goes.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 02:51:56 am »
Ellie is having her ultrasound now - I am waiting for a call from the vet.... to hear the results as see if they need to biopsy her liver... which means she has to go under and spend the night.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 02:57:14 am »
Thanks Julie! I will post an update as soon as I know anything.  Needless to say I am freaking out a bit and trying to occupy myself while waiting for the vet to call.

Icerotti

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 04:12:32 am »
Well, we have ALL fingers and paws crossed here for Miss Ellie  :-*  :-*  :-* Sending positive thoughts to her today and to you  ;)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 04:16:33 am »
Just heard from the vet....
Ellie's ultrasound looked good... the liver is a normal size and the adrenal glands looked good too (very unlikely it is Cushings)

He said he did see infection in the liver so the course of action is to give Ellie antibiotics for a couple weeks and re-test her blood... if the ALT numbers do not go down with the antibiotics, then they will biopsy her liver. He said there is no harm in waiting on the biopsy for a couple weeks.

I asked about cancer and he said it is unlikely.

So while I am relieved with today's results.... I shall be a bit on pins and needles for the next couple weeks... hopefully it is just an infection!

I cant wait to go get my girl at 3!

Thanks for the support y'all!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Stress is at an all time high - My Ellie is sick! (UPDATED)
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 04:20:32 am »
That sounds really good! I'm sure you'll be on pins and needles until you can pick her up and give her a big hug and kiss.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 04:55:02 am »
I'm glad the ultrasound was pretty good. Hopefully the infection will go away quickly and she'll be back to normal. Did they check her sugar levels? Because the excessive drinking can be a sign of diabetes.  Our cat was a diabetic and the amount she was drinking always gave a good indicaion if her sugar was messed up.

And I hope you feel better soon as well.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 06:15:58 am »
I'm glad the ultrasound was pretty good. Hopefully the infection will go away quickly and she'll be back to normal. Did they check her sugar levels? Because the excessive drinking can be a sign of diabetes.  Our cat was a diabetic and the amount she was drinking always gave a good indicaion if her sugar was messed up.

And I hope you feel better soon as well.

They did check for diabetes... her sugar levels and kidney functions were good... in fact all her blood work was good except the ALT reading (liver)

I just picked my girl up from the vet - I am so happy she is home and am keeping everything crossed that the antibiotics work!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 07:33:43 am »
That is good news.  so the anitbotics are for the liver?

I thought about you guys last night after Grace took a 5 minute drink and spit up a little. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 07:34:22 am by Lin »

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 08:05:15 am »
That is good news.  so the anitbotics are for the liver?

I thought about you guys last night after Grace took a 5 minute drink and spit up a little. 

awwwww how sweet of Grace!  :)

Yep, the antibiotics are for the liver. She has some sort of infection in her liver and hopefully it will be cured with the antibiotics...  if not, she will need a liver biopsy. From what I've read, an infection in the liver can be bacterial or viral... if it is viral, the antibiotics won't help.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 08:13:51 am »
i thought the spit up was cool too.  :-\

I'm sure the vet is going in the right direction.  ANtibiotics are a good place to start and probably a good sign that it is something that can be taken care of like this.  :) 

good luck, Ellie!!!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 01:47:41 pm »
Great news!!!  Even though you do have to wait and see if the antibiotics work, at least it's narrowed down now!!  I hope you both are feeling much better soon.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 11:29:53 am »
How is the little patient today?

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 10:27:07 pm »
How is the little patient today?

no worse for the wear.... she is outside chasing bumble bees and Blu!  :)

k2campbell

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 02:15:13 am »
I'm glad to hear that some progress has at least been made on Ellie's condition  ;) Hopefully the antibiotics will clear up whatever is bothering her and that's all it is...fingers (and paws) crossed! ;)

You get better Ellie! :-* We're all thinking of you and sending lots of good thoughts your way! ;)