Author Topic: What is the best dog food for Newfies?  (Read 5366 times)

Offline Katys Tank

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
What is the best dog food for Newfies?
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:22:59 pm »
We have dachshunds and feed them Chicken Soup For the Dog Lover's Soul. I know big dogs need different nutrition than little dogs. Tank is a black 12 week old Newfoundland puppy and We rescued him from a kill shelter about 2 days ago. I was wondering if we need to feed him a different kind of food than the doxies or if the food we feed the doxies, will give him the nutrition he needs?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:28:19 pm by Katys Tank »
I own 10 dachshunds, 1 Newfoundland, and 9 horses!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: What is the best dog food for Newfies?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:55:39 pm »
Mel's hubby here... we fed the chicken soup for a long time, but I took them off of it because of consistency issues... the food would look different from one bag to the other.. some bags the dogs seemed to have an issue with and others went great.  It seemed like at the time the diamond foods were having issues.   Just my 2 cents.. but I sorta lost my faith in that food brand after noticing that myself.

Been feeding evo for a while now, and not one issue like we had with the diamond feed.  Hopefully they have gotten that straightened out by now.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 02:40:06 am »
Arkyboy (newfie mix but still a big boy) is on Eagle pack Holistic giant breed and seems to be healthy so I'll recommend that

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 04:39:30 am »
No Newfies here (yet  ;D), but I love them.  We feed our Pyrs a mixture of Innova & Wellness.  I just added the Wellness a few weeks ago and so far it's working out great.  No problem poops, the dogs love it and I wanted to put them onto a food that has blueberries in it to maintain better urinary tract health since Cassie had a UTI a couple of months ago while on straight Innova.  She's done very well on the Innova and the blueberries in Wellness may not prevent future UTI's, but I wanted to try it anyway.  Daisy is on Natural Balance Duck & Potato due to IBD and it works very well for her.  I wish that I could feed her Innova and/or Wellness, too but trying a new food for her just isn't worth the risk of having her IBD flare up so badly again.   ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:07:30 am »
I don't have a newfie either, but right now I am feeding my Pyr Wellness Core (it's a grain free food, so not for puppies though). Tipper has done wonderfully on Innova--soft and shiny coat, great energy level, and overall really healthy. I would recommend Innova.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:23:14 am »
I have fed Clifford Canidae since shortly after I got him. I also feed it to my Jack Russel. I wanted a food both big and small could be on. Both seem to like it and do really well on it. He did have loose poops for about a week when I switched foods, but that was months ago and no other problems. Of course I also feed him newspapers, shoes, and whatever else he's in the mood for. ::)

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 07:56:49 pm »
i was feeding ozzy eagle pack salmon which was a very good food but switched to a grain free orijen. ozzy is doing amazing on this food.