Author Topic: new puppy in our household...nope! <sad>  (Read 6905 times)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
new puppy in our household...nope! <sad>
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:19:12 am »
recently darrin and i were told of an "oopps" litter with a pure english bulldog bitch and a mystery papa. they had the mama in a "secure" place so that boys couldn't get to her and low and behold, she ended up with some pups! the vet has no idea. at 13 weeks they weighed in 30 lbs. darrin's sister's friend's friend had the litter and was trying to get rid of them. when i hear "rid" i am hearing "free to good home" right? or at worst, pay for vet fees which is TOTALLY understandable . so for 4 weeks now we have been waiting and wondering how much they were gonna be. 3 days ago i find out. one thousand dollars, yes $1,000. crazy right? then it was said that if they don't find them "good" homes, they are gonna take them to the shelter! and not even a no kill shelter, just a shelter. i am all, uh, i can give you what YOU paid for their shots and maybe even a hundred more, but i can't come up with a thousand dollars to keep them out of the shelter. that is unfair right?
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
Re: new puppy in our household...nope! <sad>
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 12:55:08 am »
OMFG. that's COMPLETELY unfair... I'm sorry, but it's hard to believe this was an "accident" litter when they are so obviously trying to make a (BIG) profit out of it... it is my humble opinion that when you try to rehome surprise puppies, the best you can expect is to break even.. IF! so this kind of sucks... well, good luck! maybe you can talk them into that... some $$ is better than nothing, after all... and it sounds like that would be a good argument with these people...
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 01:36:07 am »
That just makes me furious. Were the parents OFA'd? CERF'd? Champions? Do they have any kind of justification for selling them (because thats what they are doing) for such a high fee? are these pups even full blooded? (Not that that matters for pets, but for $1000...and they didn't witness the breeding so they don't know WHO the father is or WHAT he is) AND threatening to take them to the pound? That's extortion. I would go in and say LOOK here's $250 or whatever it costs to get them their shots etc, I'll provide you with a copy of their vet certificate when I get them spayed/neutered, and a good home. If you don't like it, and you plan to take them to the pound, then I will go adopt them for $75 from there and you won't get a cent of it. Grrrrr stupid backyard breeders! How much you want to bet that wasn't an "oops" litter!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:37:01 am »
There is absolutely NO reason to charge $1000 for a mixed breed dog. $1000 is an investment with an expected return: good show dog or breeding bitch or stud that, in turn, produces good show dogs or breeding bitches and studs that are excellent examples of the breed.

Now, don't get me wrong, if I had the money, i would pay $1000 to get a dog out of a bad situation, but these people are just exploiting good-hearted people with money by saying "if no one BUYS them for $1000 then we'll dump 'em at a shelter." And, I said "buy" on purpose, because they are obviously not seeking to "adopt" them to good families. They are using their careless breeding practices to make money. It shameful!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 02:39:08 am »

These people made a stupid mistake and are now trying to profit from it rather than simply take responsibility for it.  I find that despicable.  The fact that they are planning to dump whatever pups are left makes me sick.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.  >:( >:( >:(
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 06:31:55 am »
OMG,  my mastiff baby comes from a surprise litter.  Mom was supposed to be bred with another bull mastiff but her owners OEM hopped thier fence that seperated them during her heat and now we have our baby boy.  All they were asking was vet compensation. Some people, I tell ya!  How can they charge that much not even knowing what dad was?  hard to call that one a designer dog if you cant identify the sire's breed even if the mother is a pb english bully!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak