Author Topic: Your doggie bed recommendation?  (Read 7160 times)

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
Your doggie bed recommendation?
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:43:34 am »
Hello, Big Paws people! :)

I would really love to learn from you all with experience by hearing some feedback on your favorite types of beds for our giant dogs. My munchkin doggies (the Maltese and the chihuahua/papillion mix both usually sleep...um...o n ME or on my pillow, or between my husband and I, LOL). 

Balthazar is a Newf/Great P mix so I understand there are joint support issues and that with his projected size and weight, I'm not particularly fond of the regular fluff n' stuff beds that won't provide great support.

I have looked at some online but of course, without seeing and touching the beds, I have no real way of knowing if they are exactly a fit for Balthazar or not in terms of quality and body support.  I've even gotten a great tip from a local giant breed enthusiast who I met at a pet supply store...she recommends buying a regular baby crib matress for $60 and putting baby sheets on them.  They are waterproof and the sheets can be pulled off and washed and the bed redressed easily! :)

What do you guys think?  What are your favorite dog beds? Thanks so much for the feedback! :)

Love,
Jen and Balthie :) 
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Your doggie bed recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:36:17 am »
Thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

I checked out Big Shrimpy (funny name...hee hee hee) and they look lovely!  I also just caught the fact that the crib mattress is seen in your avatar, Cindy! I wasn't sure if crib mattresses would work for Balthie or not just because of the weight factor...it's great to hear they do!  I was concerned because I was figuring that these crib mats were really designed for human babies who way significantly less than our doggies will.  It sounds like they hold up well, though!

Any other ideas/input/feedback/suggestions?  I'm really interested!

I also notice that with Balthie, he loves laying on our cool, slick hardwood floors and especially the limestone kitchen floor!  He will choose the floor over the boring bed he currently has.  It made me wonder about those "cooling" beds that you fill with some water, too. Has anybody tried them...or are there other suggestions? Thanks again...this is wonderful! :)
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:01:17 am »
Ooooh, just checked out those big shrimpy beds, they do look very comfy.

I have beds, beds, and more beds all over the place......... ...lol.  I am adicted to buying beds and it's gotten a bit carried away.  ;D

But Gunther will sleep on just about anything.  He will however, not sleep or lay down on a hard floor.  He doesn't even really like laying on carpet.  Has to be a bed.  So we've got round beds, square beds, mat beds, rectangular beds all with different materials on the inside.  Of course he also tries to lay on the ratties' beds, which are much much too small for him..........l ol.  He is laying on the bed thats in my avatar right now.  ;)

I am thinking of making him a bed for outdoors this summer.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 04:02:54 am »
One thing I forgot to mention....... ......you could also use old comforters.  they won't have much support but Gunther also loves them and I don't mind if they get shredded.  He had an old sleeping bag he was using but Posey took all the stuffing out of it so it's being thrown out.  ::)

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 04:18:30 am »
Thanks, ZooCrew!  For outdoors, I don't have any experience with them, but I've seen some really cool 'cot' style raised beds that are very nice looking and can keep the dog cool and comfortable with airflow below them, raised off the ground. I've seen a collapsible one for travel as well.  Maybe those could help you out as either a starting point for the bed you want to make, or even just work as they are?

So far I really do like the look of the Big Shrimpy nest bed, Dahlie!  Would I see "large" as the biggest size option on a website I'm looking on...would that be large enough for Balthazar when he gets older, do you think?

I also like the crib mat idea.....

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:02:55 am »
Well then, if I do end up getting a Big Shrimpy bed, maybe I'LL just steal it to sleep in and Balthazar and my hubby can sleep in our regular bed (since they BOTH snore)! LOL :D

I have looked at some memory foam beds online that are large enough to fit Balthie with me right next to him on it...and have had product reviews stating that the owners occasionally use the bed to sleep with the dog, OR to use as an extra bed for visiting human guests! LOL

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:17:15 am »
I don't have a dog bed recommendation since Tipper sleeps on my bed and Jenny starts on my bed, but then gets too hot and ends up on the floor or couch! I do have 2 memory foam dog beds that I got at Sam's Club, so were really affordable and offer nice support.

But I did want to respond to your question about the water filled beds, Balthiesmom--I got one for Tipper 6 years ago and it didn't last a day. Leaked everywhere and was a huge waste of money. They may have improved since that time, but I would be wary of them myself.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:16:31 pm »
Lily only sleeps on her Eddie Bowers bed or carpet or on our TempurPedic bed. It's very weird for a heavily coated dog never attempt sleeping on cold tile or wooden floor...she is a princess indeed ::) :P
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:21:20 pm »
You know whats really weird? Have you ever seen the dog beds at costco? they are $20 I think, just regular big 42'' dog beds. I tell you, my guys LOVE them. Whiskey has had his since he was 8 weeks old, and it gets washed probably twice a week from all the traffic and it has still held up very well. I have 9 or 10 of them I think, around the house and in the rescue kennel and they are fantastic. I couldn't imagine spending $80 on a dog bed anymore unless I need one that has magnets in it or something.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »
You know whats really weird? Have you ever seen the dog beds at costco? they are $20 I think, just regular big 42'' dog beds. I tell you, my guys LOVE them. Whiskey has had his since he was 8 weeks old, and it gets washed probably twice a week from all the traffic and it has still held up very well. I have 9 or 10 of them I think, around the house and in the rescue kennel and they are fantastic. I couldn't imagine spending $80 on a dog bed anymore unless I need one that has magnets in it or something.
I think Liz had mentioned before that she buys beds from Cotsco and she really likes them  :) I am too cheap to pay more than $50 for a dog bed since Lily sleeps in our bed anyways  :-\
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:50:46 pm »
OK Liz, I feel like Lily is totally being neglected, LOL! She only has two beds and she has been using them for two years and there are no plans of getting anything more in the near future :(
Mary W. Crane