Author Topic: For those of you with experience with HGE  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
For those of you with experience with HGE
« on: April 13, 2008, 03:38:26 pm »
I know when Whiskey had his bad "blow out" two weeks ago (man was it only two weeks ago?) and we discovered it was HGE a few of you mentioned you had or have a dog that has been diagnosed with it before.

My question is have you had second/third/fourth episodes of the symptoms? What food are you feeding? Do you reduce activity to avoide stress? Have you had any problems with suppliments or HW pills or medication that seem to aggrivate the symptoms?

Whiskey is really doing great, he is back to almost normal except that his butt is still raw- they shaved his back end from under his tail all the way in a big huge swath down to the skin to help him, but left his "trousers" on either side of his tail, so it fluffs up and covers it most of the time. I am using diaper rash creme on his skin to help and it is helping a lot. He is active, wanting to do everything he used to do before he got sick, hungry (this dog can eat everything in the house) and playful.

We have put him on a very mild diet, taken away all of his treats like his thursday-night ice cream cone, and we have also fenced off the bird area- he was getting in there and eating all the fruits and veggies that they dropped, which normally I don't mind since fruits and veggies aren't bad at all for the doggies, but I think he was also getting into some of their peppers and maybe even some of the seeds and nuts and pellets so I fenced it off. So, he's misserable since he is unable to get to his favorite snacks lying around the house, but we haven't had any episodes. He still has horrible gas.

What are your experiences? I'd really like to learn more about this, I am terrified of a second episode.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters