Author Topic: Interesting idea for new dog food  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Interesting idea for new dog food
« on: April 14, 2008, 12:33:01 am »
Have you heard anything about this:

http://www.wholemeals.com/?src=yah

looks interesting, fun for the dogs anyway. I'm wondering how nutritious it really is.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting idea for new dog food
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:50:16 am »
Hi, Scootergirl!

I'm glad you brought this up. I have, indeed, seen these and I've read the ingredient labels. I was very curious, but I can tell you that after looking at them in the pet supply store, I am NOT a fan, personally.

It's sort of the equivalent of feeding a sugary energy or "meal replacement" bar to a human instead of dinner...you CAN do it every once in awhile, but it's not really a great idea to do this routinely.

The ingredients utilize a lot of garbage fillers that I don't feed my dogs. The more processed food is, the less convertible nutrition you can actually extract from it, and this is very processed and "molded" to get it into the shape and consistency you see.

Also, I just noticed on the website it's a subsidiary of Mars, Inc., which tests on animals despite heavy public pressure to stop and instead use more modern and ethical testing protocols.  To me, testing on animals while simultaneously trying to present yourself as producing animal-focused products is hypocritical, so I choose to put my dollars towards products made by companies who really stand for animal health and welfare on all fronts...not just in the "final product" stage.

To each her own, but it's not for my dogs. It could be a fun treat to keep a dog busy or occupied, or maybe even once in awhile for a travel meal, but that's about it in my book.

I hope this helps you!

Love,
Jen and Balthazar
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:22:20 am »
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I didn't investigate the site deeply enough, I guess - I missed the ingredient list. Glad you guys are doing your research. 

It is a neat idea, but not a good food I guess. Wish someone more reputable would put good nutrition in this form. I think my dogs would like this better than kibble.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 01:39:48 am »
Since I'm new here I apologize if I'm not aware of a history on your dogs eating habits, Scooter, but by chance are they picky eaters, since you mention they might like this better than kibble?

One trick that could help that I've found to really get some picky dogs interested in their dry food is to buy some jarred baby food chicken or lamb & sweet potato, etc.  Pick one that does not have onion in it, and you can even get the organic varieties.  Generously mix the baby food in to "coat" your kibble and feed that way. They often love it!  Gradually, decrease the amount of baby food "coating" just slightly day by day so that it's not noticeable all at once. Eventually, your dogs would ideally eat their kibble.  If they just won't take it without the baby food, it won't harm them in any way to keep it up.  You can even shake the baby food with clean water and if they are really picky, just a little bit of apple juice to sweeten it...to make a "gravy" of sorts.

You can rotate the types of baby foods you use and that keeps them motivated and interested.  You can most certainly do the same thing with a canned/wet dog food, or even just adding bits of something they like...but because the chicken baby food is pretty clean and clear of bad additives, and because the kibble is already allegedly nutritionally balanced for your dogs, I am a bit of a purist and like knowing they are getting straight, clean ingredients.

I know that was a bit off topic (sorry, mods!) but I hope it might help with your dogs and their kibble! ;)
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan