Author Topic: Tick Season  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Tick Season
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:57:28 am »
Hi,

Well it is that time again especially here in New England. I had Winslow out on a wooded trail he loved it but the ticks loved him!! I have him front Lined and collared but he still picked up 3 or 4 ticks.  ::)

Anyone have a good removal technique ??? Big dark furred Boy so it is tough to see them!! then grab them (the ticks) with tweezers!!

Also people say to save the ticks in a jar with alcohol (flushing them doesn't kill them)the alcohol does in case you need to get the ticks checked for disease later!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:00:35 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Tick Season
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:58:54 am »
I wish I could help, but this time of year makes me extreemly happy to live in Northern Alberta, no ticks or fleas.   ;D

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:04:00 am »
Hi,

Found this link on instructible's I'll let you know if the approach works.

www.instructab les.com/id/How-to-remove-a-tick/
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:05:18 am »
This is what I use. It's great!!! Not a single one got broken. I have been using it for almost two years and I highly recommend it ;D

http://www.tickedoff.com/

I soooo feel you though...We are in MD and the little creatures all over us. My husband found one crawling on his neck last week, one on our livingroom curtains, one on the bathroom wall...CRAZY!!! AND we stopped going hiking since last year after Lily got Lymes. Thankfully she is white and I usually see them right away and flush them down the toilet  :(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:01:38 am »
UGH- I hate ticks and we're finding them now too!  Early this year in Maine.  Anyway, we dab a swab in nail polish remover and hold it on the tick for a few seconds, then wait a bit and pull out with tweezers.  It helps get the whole body and head out.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:43:01 am »
I wish I could help, but this time of year makes me extreemly happy to live in Northern Alberta, no ticks or fleas.   ;D
I totally here you on that one! Love living in Alberta for that reason.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:50:52 am »
I'm so glad for this post. Thanks Winslow's dad! We're Frontlined too and have found several in the last two weeks.  Ech - they're disgusting. If you can grab the little buggers on the head with the tweezers and turn clockwise while you pull they'll come out clean. I know, I know... not easy. That video is intriguing but I hate touching the little buggers. :P
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 03:58:48 am »
Hi,

Thanks people whisperer, I bought 2 of the ticked off's so hopefully that will help.

One for the house and 1 for the camper. I just will be diligent in checking winslow he enjoys the "hiking" (me too) to muct to stop doing it and i guess ticks are part of being a dog!! I rub some Diamatoues (SP) earth in his coat before we go out, the ticks doen't like the stuff cause it cute them up so hopefullt that helps cut down on the buggers!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:59:14 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:57:21 am »
I also use rubbing alcohol on ticks and it works just fine.  Also hand soap works, or pretty much anything thick where the tick needs to release in order to breathe.

I use Frontline too.  The truth is, it doesn't repel ticks, none of the meds do.  They work once the tick bites and it does usually take several hours for the tick to die.  Which is why you can still find ticks on them even though you are using preventative.  Of course you do want to remove the ticks for obvious reasons.