Author Topic: Satin Balls  (Read 24622 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Satin Balls
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:46:38 am »
Penny hasn't really been eating and she is way too skinny so I am going to put her on satin balls for awhile.

Since I've seen them recommended so often here I decided to document them and make an instructable.

Here's the recipe (this is the full version; I made a 1/10th serving version):
10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

And here the step by step photo instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Put-weight-on-your-dog-with-satin-balls/
RIP former BPO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Satin Balls
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:09:19 am »
These work so quick! I only gave penny 4 of the little patties and she got the thin layer of fat I was looking for so I can't feel all of her little bones directly under the skin. Plus, now she's also eating her normal food :)
RIP former BPO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 08:23:35 am »
Yes, generally you wouldn't give satin balls to a puppy - usually you want a puppy to be thin and grow slow. The only reason I gave them to penny was that she came to us malnurished and then refused to eat for a full week so she wasn't thin, she was emaciated  :o But now she is a healthy thin so I am back to regular food. I only made 1/10th of the original recipe and still ended up using less than 1/3 of what I made (anyone need any frozen satin ball patties ;) ).

I wanted to post the instructable though since one of the common feeding issues I hear are about how to put weight on dogs who are too thin, and these are a quick remedy.
RIP former BPO

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:35:33 am »
I have heard wonderous things about Satin Balls.
Thanks for posting the recipe!
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline Marco Ennio Ettore

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:12:14 pm »
I have a really perverted, immature mind i suppose.  I giggled at the "satin balls" every time i read it. ;D

Anyway, apart from that, I know this isn't a new thread but i'm glad it worked out for you.  I'm glad it was clarified to not use this for puppies too.   I might have made a boo boo. ???
Former Marine/Disabled Vet. Support our troops!!
Semper Fi.
Damian-Rescued chow/akita mix,
Jagger-Rescued German shepard/Welsh Corgi
mix LOL,
Marco-Cane Corso.
Zoe-Siberian poof ball. :)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:28:42 pm »
We were trying desperately to feed Rosie SOMEthing after her surgery. She would refuse everything, things she would inhale in a second if she was feeling well. But with a fever and feeling like crud, she was NOT into eating at all. And it was important that she eat in order to get well again.

Satin balls were the only thing she would eat. We cooked them in the oven instead of feeding them raw (since we'd never fed her a raw diet before and didn't want to start right when she wasn't feeling well) and she just loved them. Now we're struggling to get her back to eating her usual dry kibble. She's no longer on satin balls, but she's only accepting wet canned food so far.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:12:09 pm »
Satin balls were the only thing she would eat. We cooked them in the oven instead of feeding them raw

Do you know on what temp and for how long you cooked them? I really need to keep weight on Breeze in her times of not liking her food and raw hamburger does not agree with her at all.

Anyone tried this recipe yet?
10 lbs Hamburger
10 oz Oats
6 Egg Yolks
10 oz Wheat germ
10 oz Molasses

Breeze is already on The Missing Link(great stuff) which has wheat germ and molasses in it, I wonder if I could use it instead of those adding them to the mix.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:49:24 pm »
Can you use ground turkey or lamb or something like that instead of hamberger?

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:10:30 pm »
II don't see why you couldn't other then I think it may defeat the "weight gain" purpose. Meaning those 2 meats are on the lean side compared to hamburger.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 06:14:17 pm »
hmm...hamberg. gives titan diarreah....bu t i completely understand that those are lean meats..

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 01:20:54 am »
I just made up a batch using ground turkey and venison- dogs love them although Jason will only eat them if they are frozen!