Author Topic: Hot Spots  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Graham

• Gnawer
  • Handsome Graham
    • View Profile
Hot Spots
« on: August 03, 2005, 02:35:52 pm »
Help I keep getting hot spots... they are itchy and they hurt. My owner getts me groomed once a month and uses the special shampoo and conditioner, and even change my diet. But they wont go away.. What do I do
Graham & Shahayla

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Spots
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 02:49:42 pm »
HMMM perplexing, My lab had a hotspot once on her neck, she had it when we adopted her form the SPCA, what they did was shave the affected area and I think she had a cream that was put on it, it cleared up and she hasn't had one since. knock on wood. I would contact your vet and see what they say, they might prescribe some cream of some sort

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 04:13:20 pm »
If they keep happening, I would imagine that the vet would prescribe something... Zoey hasn't had a real 'hot spot' before because I treat her every time I see her biting at a spot. Anti-itch spray, a sprinkle of gold bond powder, or a bit of 'bag balm' have all worked in preventing her from chewing to the point where it becomes a hot spot.
RIP former BPO

Offline traklover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 06:40:47 am »
You might want to keep trying different foods. Without knowing what has been tried, it is difficult to advise. Many people try lamb and rice to avoid allergies but the vets now often don't recommend it as many dogs are also allergic to it. My vet tends to prefer California Natural, the chicken one for allergic dogs, says it works better than lamb and rice for most. Keep in mind that hot spots can be caused by other things than foods. Shaving lets the air get at it to help dry it out, and  I used to use tree oil on it as well. I would consult with a vet, I personally have had best success with using an alternative vet for allergies, but even regular vets can help alot. If you are convinced it is a food allergy, a vet can either do allergy testing or have you try an exclusion diet made of fish and rice,(sorry you are now cooking for dog). Good luck!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 09:42:43 am »
My friend had ongoing problems with her Akita/Yellow Lab...He is doing well now when she switched his food...She says that Wellness Lamb & Rice or Merrick Wilderness Blend works wonders...Also, just an f.y.i...My sister's Collie pup who is an indoor dog evidently had a small open spot on his back end & ended up with maggots!...They went camping over last weekend &iti was hot & humid...It took 2 days & the poor dog's testicles became swollen as big as softballs...He is still at the vet & they may have to remove everything & not just neuter him...If it is hot & humid there keep his hot spots looked over!

ann

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 11:55:23 am »

hi, i'm gyps frieand with the akita/lab i did change foods alot until i put him on the merrick wilderness blend and now he's great sometimes it takes awhile to fing the cure...a greeb tea bag (wet)on the hot spot works good seems to sothe it and heal quicker....... ..........

ann

Offline 3snotenough

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Rhonda's Newfies
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 12:16:35 pm »
Just plain old vinegar and water does the trick! ;D