Author Topic: yeast infection in the ear  (Read 2847 times)

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
yeast infection in the ear
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:47:30 am »
We took Arkyd to the vet cuz on saturady i noticed he had a funky ear. It turned out to be a yeast infection
has anyone else had this before (has your dogs lol)

Either way when i set the appointment up i asked for a guesstimate on the cost the vet told us bout 80 bucks, i said to the wife i'd take 150 knowing what vets are like..yeah 140 woo.Don't mind that much cuz we keep a grand in a seperate account for the dogs at all times but, still its not the greatest thing when taxes only just passed and of course we had to pay in.
even tho its against our constitutional rights to pay federal tax. (no law says we have to) but i aint messin with the IRS lol

lins_saving_grace

Re: yeast infection in the ear
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:47:50 pm »
Grace gets those that turn into bacterial infections which are much worse.  the vet gave me a bottle of stuff to clean her ears out with.  i use that 2 times a month and don't get yeast infections anymore.  Flappy eared dogs are so prone to yeast infections in the ear.  a good cleaning always reduces that risk.

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:51:25 pm »
Between my Mastiff and my Basett hound I am cleaning gunk out of ears on a weekly basis.  I use a liqid once a week and I found a powder from Dr Fosters & Smith that seems to retard the growth of ear gunk (technical terms I know  :D)that I use as well. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
the weird thing is i clean my dogs ears weekly so it was between the two saturdays that it got bad and if any of my dogs were gonna have ear problems you'd think it would be Porter but his ears are always squeeky clean lol

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:52:03 pm »
Yeast infections - now there is something I know all about! (my dogs of course!) My golden Meli gets them CONSTANTLY!! Im talking we've been to the vet atleast 30 times in her life.. if not more. Here's what works for her now. We finally put her on Claritin. The human kind (but we got the generic pills called Loratidine at Sams Club) Name brand Claritin is about a buck a pill. The generic you get like 100 for 10 bucks. Anyway, she is 80 pounds and gets 1 1/2 pills a day. Between that and cleaning ears alot she has cleared up. Another thing that helps is to put yogurt in their food and apple cider vinegar in the water. Not much - just a quick pour. (I know Im so technical here!) Start out small or they may not drink it. That does wonders! And watch out for the paws. If the yeast is in the ears, when they scratch with their paws it will transfer to the pads of their paws. If she starts chewing her paws... its there. You can also tell when it is getting bad beacuse it will smell. Trust me, you'll know. You walk in the house and say "Dangit - its back!)  Did the vet smell his easrs? You can do it yourself, and the ear will be red. How old is your little man? Meli's infections didnt stat until she was about 2 and then they were constant. Anyway, hope this helps! Give your man a hug for me!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:58:04 pm »
then you may be over cleaning.  :)  it's a balance to find.   try not to get water in the ears in the bath.