Author Topic: It's killing me!!!!!  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
It's killing me!!!!!
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:54:59 am »
Ok I'm about to jump out the window.....Mer ri is in season and Tripper is going nuts. They are obviously seperated but he gets a wiff of her and that's it game over. He cries and barks constantly. And I can't take it anymore. She's not even in the same room and he's crated. Is there something I can put on his nose to mask her smell. I have another 10 days of this and by the end of those days they will take me away in a straight jacket!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: It's killing me!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:05:05 pm »
Actually, I've heard some show people will put Vicks vapor rub on their male's noses when someone brings a female in heat to the show.  Supposed to work well.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:27:51 pm »
I remember those days with Ruffian and Tonka, the result was Peanut  ;)  Through a kennel door  ???  Cant say I am jealous in the least of what you are going through, but I wish I could help.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:00:10 pm »
The worst part of this is she was schedualed for her spay the week before she came into season. I cancelled it because I was grooming her and her nipples felt swollen. I thought I was going to have pups.  :oGlad she's not pregnant :) but had I brought her in I wouldn't be going through this right now.  >:(

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:49:57 pm »
For sanity's sake I would board the male- the cost is well worth the peace and quiet

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »
Tina you should try this!!! I have heard it works...people at the MA shows told me to use it next time Lily in heat and I am showing her ;)

http://www.1stqualitypetsupplies.com/030811.html?zmam=5908402&zmas=11&zmac=58&zmap=030811
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:33:28 am »
I'll see if I can't find something like that here. By the time I get it she'll be finished. That's if I order it. And he's not eating either. He's going to look fabulous for the nationals.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 12:40:26 am »
I'll see if I can't find something like that here. By the time I get it she'll be finished. That's if I order it. And he's not eating either. He's going to look fabulous for the nationals.
Oh Gosh! I was just going to ask if he is eating ::)
Well, him and Lily will make a great couple of "skin & bones" pyrenees at the Nationals, LOL!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 12:45:00 am »
yup that's for sure. I felt him last night and freakes. No fat just bone and as it was I didn't think he had enough fat on hi, Think I'll make up a small receipe of satin balls and feed him that for the next week and a half. He needs to put some meet on those bones. I even tried feeding him chinese food(leftovers) and he sniffed around it ate some chicken and that was it!  :o So much for placing in his class.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 09:41:48 am »
Nigel stops eating when Posey goes into heat as well.  But he always needs to lose a few pounds anyway so he ends up looking great by the time she' out of it........lol.  Of course she stops eating for a day or two as well but not nearly as long as him.  He won't even accept treats!  :o

thank goodness it's only 2 times a year.  ::)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 09:52:44 am »
Titan doesn't know what that smell is. We had two bitchs in heat in training class and he paid no attention to it  ::) prob. a good thing...althou gh i question it too...  :o

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 10:00:18 am »
Vanilla on the nose is a great trick I use @ shows all the time with Butler.  It only lasts about thirty minutes but it is completly safe and effective for short periods of time.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:01:36 am »
I agree to board if possible.  I plan on doing that with Nigel if it is at all possible and send him to my parents during her second week b/c that is usually when his hormones go out of control. 

and yeah the whining is horrible!!  Posey was crated at night and Nigel had to be in the bedroom.  If he was crated (on another floor) he would cry and cry and whine and cry all night long.  :P  And of course they go out side separately.  he was crated while she was out and when you brought her back in he would literally start screaming!  For those familiar with basenjis screaming, even though he is a rat terrier, that is what he sounds like.  As my friend called it "baby in a blender" noise.