Author Topic: Looking to adopt Shepherd or Shepherd Mix, Male - Sacramento Ca, Area  (Read 3574 times)

Offline wendeld

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I am looking for a companion dog for my female yellow lab. Her previous companion, an Alaskan Malamute died of old age a few months ago, and she needs a friend and playmate. In addition, I miss having a second dog.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR:
I am looking for a large to extra large young male dog (6mos to 2 years), preferably a Shepherd or a Shepherd mixed with Lab, Malamute, Husky, or Great Dane.

The ideal dog would tend towards being a large shepherd type with a short coat. Stand up ears a must. Dark colouring preferred but all colour types considered.  He does not have to be purebred.

The dog must *not* be neutered, as my female (who is spayed)does not respect fixed males. If you are a rescue group who would allow a certified vasectomy in leiu of full neutering, that is fine too.  I do not intend to breed this dog, nor use him for guarding/security purposes.  He is to be strictly a family pet.

Here are some images of dog types I am looking for:

[img width= height=]http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/youthdevelopment/images/7046_p13a.jpg[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.middletownpaws.org/images_dogs/Allie.jpg[/img]
[img width= height=]http://members.petfinder.org/~MD27/assets/images/Pharoah1th.jpg[/img]

I have a very loving home with a large yard and lots of attention being paid to the dogs. Whatever dog we end up with will be given our total love and affection in a safe, clean home.

If you have a dog which meets the above description, or know of one, please contact me at the e-mail address below.  Or Call me at 530-218-6488. Photos are appreciated.

Thank you!

E-mail wendeld2000@yahoo.com

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to adopt Shepherd or Shepherd Mix, Male - Sacramento Ca, Area
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 11:47:36 pm »
Hi wendeld....... I am sorry to hear about your Mal who passed away, Im sure you are missing her a lot.

First I want to say, that I really really dont think youd be able to find an un nutered male from any rescue group, I have worked in rescue for more than 20 years and I have never come across a rescue group who does not have a very strict altering policy. The only exception is when a puppy or kitten is too young to be altered, then they can sometimes be allowed to go "home" before it is done, BUT only with a prepaid contract wth a vet. that will perform the nutering/spaying when the time is right. And that is always vets who have been screened and spoke to by the rescue group.

So I think you might have a hard time finding an unaltered male through a rescue, you can always look in your local news paper, usually there are many dogs "free to good homes" from families and quite a few of them are unaltered.

I also wonder why your female is aggressive towards nutered males..... Has she shown aggression to lots of altered male dogs or has it happened only once or twice or with just one or two dogs?

Good Luck in finding a dog

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline wendeld

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:56:08 am »
Marit,
Yes, I have found a great deal of frustration trying to find a male which is not fixed by the rescue groups.   While I understand and sympathize with the goals of the policies, it doesn't help my seach much.    I have met quite a few wonderful dogs who were it not for this issue, would have a home.

My lab grew up with an intact male Malamute who was very "alpha".   I am not sure what kind of imprinting she had, however she is also very "alpha" and very assertive around altered males.   

We have introduced  5 altered male dogs to her with identical results, which is agressive dominance behavior.    However when we have friend's unaltered pets over, she is calm, friendly and somewhat submissive.   She also is assertive with females.

In speaking with our vet about it, he said it was unusual, however it may be she can tell the difference by scent or behavior, and "disrespects" the altered males.

His suggestion was to find an intact male and give it a vascectomy.   No problem here...just can't seem to find any at this point.   

Soo....back to the want ads and all the flaky people out there.    I never thought finding another dog would be so difficult.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 11:05:48 am »
I am so glad that you are looking for a rescue dog ;D So many animals are in rescues in danger of be put down :(. My suggestion would be to get a puppy, that way you can get him clipped rather than fully neutered. Or if you search an all breed rescue or shelter, you may find an unaltered male, some shelters will wait to neuter until adoption is done, usually those will be the kill shelters, the no kill shelters usually do the alterations right away.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 01:52:49 pm »
It is so good that you are looking to rescue. You can also look on petfinder under their classifieds, these are not the dogs that are in a shelter or a rescue but ones that owners have that they want to rehome, without having to place their dogs in one of these places. Most of the people do want an adoption fee to ensure that their dog is going to a good home, but you will run into that anywhere. These people do not have the stipulations that shelters and rescues have, they have their own on a personal level. I was looking through it today and saw that their are hundreds of German Shepherd and shepherd cross dogs on it. Good luck!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey