Author Topic: My cute new rescue  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: My cute new rescue
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 10:35:32 pm »
thank you thank you.

vet thinks shakes might be able to come home tomorrow or sunday at the latest.  we can't wait, of course.  the house is so.....quiet.. ..i don't knwo what to so with all the extra time i have.....   anyhow, he will have to go back to the vet everyday for at least a week.  I will let you knwo what we find out in the morning!

thanks again for the good vibes!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 11:58:09 am »
Ohhhh Kirsten, I am sooooo sorry to hear about Shakespear. Poor guy has gone through so much and now this, I am sure he will be fine though, and once he is home again he will feel much much better with all the loving he will get from you all.

He has a beautiful color and my first though too was dane mix, but the ears well lol..... they make me think there has to be a dog with standing up ears, I agree with Tina I can see greyhound in his face too. Had it not been for the ears though I would have definately said mastiff/dane.

Whatever he is, he is super cute though.

I will be keeping all my fingers and paws crossed and have him and you in my prayers

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 02:11:58 pm »
well, shakes was able to come home today after 2 nights in the hospital.  his swelling has gone down almost 40% and so has the yucky discharge! 

we got really lucky with the vet that first saw him.  he works at a differnt hospital, and only works at the one we sent to sparatically, which actally works to our advantage.  he doesnt have many appointments on the books at our hospital, and has arranged his schecedule around our needs.  he has also waived all his labor fees, which will really help our wallet.

shakes will need to go in every day for new bandages, and will need his toe amputation in the near future, but so far things are looking better!!

i will let you know once we have a better idea of how bad the permantent damage is goign to be.  we are goign in early tomorrow morning and if te swellign has continued to go down they shoudl have a good idea.

thanks again for all your good thoughts!

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 04:48:25 pm »
GOOD NEWS!!!  Shakespeare had his little toe amputated yesterday, and everything went super well.  he got to keep most of his metitarsul pad, and the infection on his leg seems to be healing itself really well.  His broken leg has healed up nicely too, and he is no longer in a cast, just a bandage on his paw.  He still needs frequent bandage changes because he has on open wound on the other side of his paw that will actually turn out to be the hardest thing to heal.

The hardest part of all this is keeping the poor guy from running around like puppies are want to do.  He is on resticted activitie to make sure he doesnt mess up his leg/paw more, and this is killing him. All he wants to do is go for a walk and run around and be a puppy.......

it breakes my heart when he looks up at me and i know he is wondering what he did wrong and why he doesnt get to go out and play.... (you jumped out a window and ran away silly, don't you remember.  see, you better not do it again!)

anyhow, i will get you guys some new pictures ASAP.... it is like a drug with all you.  addicted to pictures....(i am jsut as guilty )

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 10:41:57 pm »
Awwwe, sorry to hear of your tough life, Shakespeare.  I immediately thought dane as well, but I am partial.  Once you said one of the parent's was a mastiff, then I took a closer look and think there might be some sighthound in there, like pharoah hound.  They are also a mid sized breed, which may account for your size.  The ears certainly look like it anyhow.

Good luck with your recovery.  Here's a pic of my "little" brindle dane, when he was about your size.

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 09:13:00 am »
how old is that beautiful dane in your picture? He looks a lot like shakes, especially now that shakes is putting on weight and startign to grow again!

The size is not a really great indicator of shakes breed because he had sever malnutriton, mange and such, which stunted his growth.  his siblings that didn't get it as bad are much bigger, like 80 pounds at around 6 months, so pretty giant.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 09:43:39 am »
I am soo glad that Shakes is better and growing!  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 11:44:52 am »
In that pic, Gunther is just over 4 months old.

And even though the size isn't really an indicator, I think that mixing a sighthound with a mastiff could get results that look like you.  You never know.......... ....