Author Topic: dog park gonna do it! need advice  (Read 1436 times)

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
dog park gonna do it! need advice
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:05:28 am »
  ok , im going to break down and try the dog park today. im very nervous. does anyone have any advice for Brooklily or me with our first dogpark visit?  a little backround ....1. Brooklily is currently getting better with her leash aggression, but it is still an issue. So when do i let her off leash at the park?  2. Brooklily loves to play and play hard. Are there some warnings if she is going to far? 3. Brooklily was not socialized up to 6 months AT ALL( basically left in a cellar  :'( ) untill i got her. I have her play with lots of other dogs but only one or two at a time in a fenced in area. She lives with my dads corgi ( not in same house . my dad has an inlaw in my house) so they share a yard and really love each other. So i know she isnt bad with other dogs , just rough, and doesnt always get the rules.             Im just nervous and would like some help. We are going today around 230. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!! Brooklily's mum
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: dog park gonna do it! need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:47:45 am »
I would recommend going to the park at an off time. I don't know where you live but nice weather, weekends, and during the day are high times. I would wait till later like sunset for a first try when it's less busy and chaotic.

I would probably take her off leash immediately if she is leash aggressive, since keeping her on could start a lot of trouble. It's usually said that dogs on leash in off leash parks end up being targets and feeling like targets so I think that having her leash off would cut the stress level down a lot!

Has she ever attacked a dog? Has she ONLY played with dogs that she has gotten to know over time? This sounds like a pretty ballsy (pardon my language)/dangerous thing to try if she is leash aggressive.

I really hope it works, good luck!
         I received a flyer from a woman who is starting a bully breed club and they are meeting 2day. I wish it were a weekday or a later hour, as you said, it would be less busy.  But everyone going has to sign a waiver when they get there and I thought it would be a good opportunity, no italian greyhounds or yorkies lol.  I love all breeds , but I am afraid of her playing to rough with a dog that might get hurt. I was also afraid of her getting hurt if the people at the park dont know to control thier dog , and these people have to sign something that says they will. The only time she has ever really thrown down was when we were in a baseball feild with a dog she is friends with and another dog came in and attacked her pal. She ran the length of the feild and jumped in full force. It was awful but I was able to break it up and I think it was a protecting situation.  I dont know now . Do you  think I should still go?
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix