Author Topic: Thoughts on retention ponds??????  (Read 2642 times)

DenverFurKiddos

Thoughts on retention ponds??????
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:03:13 am »
Hi all!  Winston and Champ took me for a wonderful walk today!  At the end of our walk, we entered back into our neighborhood, which is essentially lined by a lake (a.k.a retention pond) on either side.  The boys were so excited to see the water, and before I knew it, they were half-way in!  The lake is easily a couple of acres (maybe 3?) on each side, with a fountain in the middle so that there wasn't any stagnant water and no pond scum or otherwise gross stuff.  Nevertheless, I started to get worried that maybe this wasn't good for them ??? They've both been updated on all their vaccines, getting everything I could that would protect them for our camping expeditions this summer.

Am I being overprotective or should I stay away in the future???

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on retention ponds??????
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:49:22 am »
I have to say that I'm a bad mom and let me two play in the retention pond.  We found a little used place that has a retention pond and I take Kaila and Shiner out there to run off leash and play in the water.  Kaila just learned to swim 2 weeks ago and now tries everytime she enters her water trough in the backyard.  Shiner was thrilled to try and scare big mean stumps in the pond.  So far, no bacteria issues but then again they just had a bacteria problem from playing in nasty rain water in the backyard. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:05:36 am »
Well, the other thing you would want to consider is the presence of cytotoxins produced by cyanobacteria. I've posted about that here before. I'll look for the post.

But, if there isn't any scum or anything, you should be fine.

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:06:39 am »

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 11:15:24 am »
GULP!!!!

Thanks so much for posting that, Nicole!  We will now be enjoying the water from afar!!! :)