Author Topic: ok...so now we are having pitty babies...what do i have to do **updated**  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
I have read books on breeding, i have watched my parents failed foster cat (they kept her) have kittens. BUT...i do know how to help out if need be, but are the chances high that she will need help with the new borns? Please any help. Her scheduled death date is april 25, i am nervous on taking her due to not knowing her health, i will definilty keep her separated from the other dogs, but just wondering for help!!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:59:01 pm by jaz and titan »

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Re: ok...so now we are having pitty babies...what do i have to do
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 01:33:54 pm »
There's definitely a lot to it, and you do NEED to be there with her, there is a good chance you will need to step in and you need to know the signs if there is something wrong with her. (IE pushing for two hours straight with no sign of the puppy means GET ME TO THE VET RIGHT NOW) There's a whelping box to build, an emergancy kit to make, phone numbers to memorize (Hello vet speedial number 1) lots to read, cleaning/puppy proofing a room for her that will keep her away from the other animals, nutritional needs that need to be taken into effect for her up until the actual whelping..

Then comes temperature taking, charting, lots of sleepless nights monitoring, and finally delivery!!! Delivery is lovely- lots of blood and gore and counting placentas, and making sure puppies are breathing, and tagging/weighing, charting, clearing lungs, checking for birth defects, making sure everyone nurses and stays warm, helping a stuck puppy, cutting emblical cords if she is too rough, breaking sacs if she is too slow... etc.

..then you get to raise puppies :) Stinky, crawling, mewling, but adorable puppies- and there are the problems that could arrise if she doesn't produce enough milk, gets freaked out by the puppies, develops pyometra from a withheld placenta or other reasons and needs to have emergancy surgery and can't nurse the puppies on the medications... so you'll have to read up on tube feeding and everything else just in case it comes to that...

Typically I say have $3000 set aside JUST IN CASE before whelping a litter, mutts are just as expensive as top quality show dogs when it comes to problems when they deliver. It could all go perfectly OK, but then it could not. I remember having two rescue litters whelp the same night, one had 11 puppies and it went perfectly, one after another, no problem, all healthy, great mom. The other had 5, and it was a blood nightmare. Rushed to ER for emergancy c-section, one puppy born mumified, one born dead that I was able to revive and get breathing, hours between each puppy with shots of oxytocin to help her push but still not really helping, and a very very hefty bill.

How far along is she? can she not just be pulled, vetted and spayed? How old is she?

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: ok...so now we are having pitty babies...what do i have to do
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 08:41:56 pm »
I do not have any of the information yet, the person i was talking to about her (who said they would call never did) so i truely don't know anymore what is going on.  I hope she does come, but i am not sure, her time is limited and i don't know where she is.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
so get this,  :( my excitement is down the drain, i know that this is better for her, since there are already 1000000000 pitties with out homes, but they are brining her up here and euthanizing her, so she doesn't get gassed??? WTH? So you are going to stress her out while she is pregnant and bring her to MA or CT and you are going to euthanize her with a shot, verses a gas chamber. I understand, somewhat, although i offered my services and they said perfect, then they go and think that killing her is better? I don't understand rescues, why would you stress her out first? that is just not cool. Dont get me wrong, i know that rescures do the best work out of everyone, and i can understand all of that. But instead of having her pups in a loving home where they will be socialized, they are going to let her have her pups, then euthanize her???? I don't get it...i just dont....this is why i don't get involved all the time.  I would have loved to have her here, and especially because the hubby was so accepting of the situation and had no hesitation at all.  I don't like these things. I dont... i am soo at a loss >:( >:( >:( ::) ::) ??? ??? ::) ::)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I'm confused??  Is she sick?  Does she have behavioral issues that are absolutely unresolvable?  I don't get it??  Why would they put her down?  I mean, I extremely happy that they're giving the puppies the chance at life, but why not Momma??   ??? :-\
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
she isn't  sick, she doesn't have behavioral problems, she is healthy prego girl.  I don't get it, they prefer to euthanize through a shot vs. the gas chamber....bel ieve me i am in the same boat....but also why grow up in a shelter, where they  can have a big yard, a house, and an entire lower half of the house to themselves.... . this is what i got in response:
Thank you so much for considering doing this. The local Mass Pitt rescue had offered to have her brought up here and humanely euthanized. I am so glad you were willing to take her in and give her and her puppies a chance. She came very close to death.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Holy...WHAT???? How is euthanizing her - whether it's before or after she has the puppies - a better idea than fostering her? I am nothing less than OUTRAGED!!

You can't euthanize her AFTER she has the puppies - why tear a healthy mother away and have to bottle feed the babies??

Why call yourself a rescue if you're going to KILL a healthy, pregnant dog and her puppies?

Something very wrong is going on here.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
OK. I just took a deep breath and read this again after Jenn's post.

Maybe she's right. Maybe their last message to you was telling you that they were going to be releasing the dog to your foster care INSTEAD of being euthanized.

I'm waiting on pins and needles for the clarification.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
SOOOO sounds like you are getting her afterall. Seriously...I think she is comming to stay with you...sometime s emails are not all that clear...give her a call and clarify for your self!  ;)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
I think what they meant by the email is that the rescue was going to bring her to the place to be pts but now they are not because you are taking her in.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
we are not getting her  >:( she is going to have her pups in the shelter (because that is cleaner and healthier for the pups right? NOT >:( ) What ever...they are going to do what they want with her, because she is not up here with me.  This is why i hate people...prime reason, they don't care, they don't think what is best for all the pups.  I even had a list of homes for the pups when they were born (just incase) so they didn't end up in a shelter situation.  How great would that have been? I think it would have been awesome, and i was more than happy to do it.  Things happen for a reason, and perhaps something else will come along that is also in need of help, although we are very upset and frusturated... but whatever....  :'(