Author Topic: I think it's TIME for a change....kinda long :)  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
I think it's TIME for a change....kinda long :)
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:03:47 pm »
I think we are changing vets today.
I will tell you the cons to the current vet and let me know if you have had any of these happen to you?!?

1.) She always comments on how many times we have been to the emerg vet or how many times that we have called or that they havent heard from us in a while and new that something was bound to come up sooner ofr later.
(Like they have bets going on in the office)
2.)She is never friendly towards us or Titan
3.) She never gives us a straight answer...she always beats around the bush...
4) Last thing... :) Everytime Titan has the poops she always worms him...never a stool sample blood work nothing.

So I called to a different vet this morning and found out that beofre he worms any animal he ALWAYS request a stool sample! Anways I think its time to switch vets..anyone else have this happen to them and their pochies?!?
We booked an appoint. for this afternoon he has had the scoots all week and the first thing he said bring in some poop i WANT to see it! So I hope Titan is ok with guy because he is scared sh*tless of the vet he has now!
Wish us luck!!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:38:42 pm by Apreston »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: I think is TIME for a change....kinda long :)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:16:14 pm »
I think you are totally justified in switching vets. It doesn't sound to me like she is really invested in Titan's welfare and is treating you like a joke. She should give each and every client her full, honest attention and if she is making you feel uncomfortable then she doesn't deserve your business or your money!

Now, about the poop:  So many things can affect "the bottom line", so to speak - so much more than worms. There is absolutely no reason to medicate anything or anyone unneccessarily and, before dewormer is given, DUH! you should make sure there are worms to be dewormed - or if the cause of the runs is something else.

I say, go to the new vet and don't look back.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: I think is TIME for a change....kinda long :)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 01:27:19 pm »
Thanks! i agree...I am just a pushover sometimes...we ll not really I just dont like hurting peoples feelings...so telling the old vet we are switching would be kinda pianfull for me....so the NEW vet is doing it!! LOL  8)
Anways.. I agree with everything you are saying and surprised I have not switched earlier....lik e I said I dont want to hurt anyone feelings BUT my baby comes first and this NEW vet said he will take all the money I want to give him but it will still not make Titan feel any better without proper medical care!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:33:11 pm by Apreston »

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: I think it's TIME for a change....kinda long :)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:16:02 pm »
I completely agree with what everyone has said. I have had crummy vets that made me feel like an idiot and disregarded my concerns about my pets before, and it's a horrible feeling. When I moved to Michigan, I shopped around until I found a vet that I liked and trusted and who worked well with my pets. Even though she is part of a group, I make my appointments with her and only her. I am very loyal once the vet has earned my trust and respect, but they have to do that first and foremost!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 05:49:15 pm »
Poor Titan, I see that sweet face and want to punch your old vet right in the nose!!!!
Good for Titan and you for switching to a "real" pup doc.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: I think it's TIME for a change....kinda long :) **Update**
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 06:33:31 pm »
SOOOOOOO
Off to the vet we go...and he/we loved him....we got blood taken, our poop checked, well not mine but Titans LOL :) and we had a full examination!
It was great he was the best dog not growling bitting he walked right into the front door with out any problems! I was 20mins early cuz I thought thats how long it would take him to get through the front door...guess not!
He asked what the result were of his last blood test... I said none because he has never had one done! Also the same for the stool test and his range of motion for his legs/hips.
Once the blood work comes back tomorrow he will book us in for an xray (that he has to be sedated for)to check whats going on in his back leg area!
So ALL in ALL it went great and  so far so good...and the kicker of it all is.... the secretary at new vet used to work for old vet and she said she left there because she is a drunk! NICE!! Just to top off any kind of second guessing I had... I have no more!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 06:45:59 pm »
Our old vet died of cancer, so we went to the new vet who bought his practice ONCE.  My dogs shied away from her, she wanted me to put them up on the table for her (my male springer weighed 72lbs at the time), she was fast and thorough but abrubt, pulling their ears up and out to look down them, never petted or talked to the dogs at all and I was done with her, after the first trip.  Our new vet was recommended by the receptionist for the old vet.  He sits down in the floor to do my dogs exams.  He pets them, speaks very softly, moves slowly and they love him.  I trust my dogs instincts and mine second.  If they don't like someone, that person is iffy in my book.  If I don't like them either, they are out.  Good for you for finding a new vet for your boy.  Sounds like you got a good one this time.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats