Author Topic: NDR - I need some advice/ideas/help guys, my times' almost up!!!  (Read 5669 times)

k2campbell

Blake is turning 10 months old next week (I can't believe it!) and it's coming upon the time where I need to start thinking about what I'm going to do once my mat leave is up this July... :P :-[ :-\

We have sat down and gone through all the pros and cons to me returning to my job and we have decided it would be in everyone's best interest if I didn't. Firstly, my job is out of town and adds at least 1.5 hrs to my workday in travel. Secondly, my job is VERY stressfull (and on top of that) the 2 other people in my department (Projects) have LEFT since I've been on mat leave and they haven't hired any replacements! :o :P So, I would be returning to a GONG SHOW to clean up, a toxic environment... it's just not going to work. :-[ Human Resources at my work keep calling to "feel me out" about what I'm thinking...and I know it's just so they can get me in there and hammer me with work (let me add: work that others didn't care about and left in a HUGE mess)!  >:( I refuse to be out of the house by 6:30am, doing 3 people's jobs, getting home late (and most importantly) having to bring work home with me and being stressed all the time, in-turn being a bitch to Eric and not as good as a Mom as I'd like to Blake  ;)

So, now that that is out of the way (sorry, kind of a rant there  ;)) I need to figure out what I'm going to do! ??? Bottom line is (unfortunately) we are a wee bit short on making a single income work out for us :P So...I need to do something just 2 days a week.

Fortunately my MIL has offered to look after Blake 2 days a week if required, which is great! :) I went and visited all the "daycares/dayhomes" around here and wasn't satisfied with anything, so we're lucky in that regard!  ;) She is willing to set "specific" days that she can't work in order to look after him (say every Tues & Thurs or something like that). She is a nurse and is on "casual" time, so she usually works 2-3 shifts a week. Therefore she'd have to have certain days set beforehand, I couldn't switch back-and-forth or anything like that, that's the only sticky part... :P

So, what do I do?  ??? :-\ I would prefer doing something from home, or something of my own even (ie. dog walking). Any ideas on stay-at-home work?  ??? I have no clue! ::) There are a few possibilites in retail in our town. We have a Home Depot, Safeway, SuperStore (sort of like a Costco but on a lower scale), and a few privately-owned places I wouldn't mind working at (but these privately-owned won't necessarily be hiring when I need to return to work)... Any advice? Any anything?  ??? ::)

I'm open to lots, so let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it! ;)

Nicole

Re: NDR - I need some advice/ideas/help guys, my times' almost up!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:25 am »
Oh Kelly!

First of all, can I say that I HATE you Canadians?!!?! You're going back after a YEAR! DANG YOU!  :P

Ok, now that that is out of the way. I am going through the same thing. After my UNPAID SIX WEEKS is over...I'm struggling to figure out what to do!

I've thought about doing some in-home preschool kind of thing. I'm an educator, so it would work out just fine. It would be an Environmental Education type of program. I live on a lake with a beautiful park and nice wetlands and stuff. I don't know if in-home is an option for you, but I'm considering it.

I'm also looking into working a few days a week at a preschool around here. Its also an Environmentall y focused pre-school. I wouldn't be able to take Tristan, but my MIL has also agreed to watch him a day or so a week, and I think I could do some child-care sharing with my SIL who has a 15 month old.

I've also thought about doing something in the evenings when my husband is home, but don't like that idea as much.

Good luck. Its super hard to come up with something! BUt, I know you'll figure it out.

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:12:28 am »
Wow a year of leave..that is awesome! Depending on the need, I would think the dog walker would be a great thing...I am a petsitter and not sure if I would recommend that.  This is my side business and I get uber busy in the summer months and on all holidays.  My kids are in college now so its no big deal but with a baby it would take alot of time.  I would start now marketing myself as a "Dog Walker" at the local pet stores, feed stores and anywhere else there are alot of ppl and see what kind of response you get!  Wishing you lots of luck!!  Your Blake is a cutie and I wouldnt want to leave him either!!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 02:18:45 am »
I was just going to type dog walker....and you can do that 2x a week..plus the hours are short and pay is good!

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:58:12 am »
Hi, Kelly!

I think it's GREAT...TWO BIG THUMBS UP...that you have the sense to NOT return to a toxic work environment!  TRUST ME...when your body, mind, and spirit GENTLY guide you out of a bad work situation, it is best to follow it!

Ideas for at home work:

-Teach a fun art class, Mother's Morning Out, or playgroup for kids once or twice a week. If the program is less than 4 hours of operation a day, depending on your state laws, you may not need ANY sort of licensing at all. (Scary but true).

-Invite a yoga, pilates, or other instructor...t o teach an adult class at your house, and pay the person a fee to teach and collect a fee for attendance. 

-It sounds hokey, but you CAN do things like Avon, or Pampered Chef, or the "Slumber Party" sales.  If you don't sell stuff, no big deal...if you do, it's a little extra cash in hand.

-Promote yourself as a personal assistant for hourly hire...people (like me) often are caught between being in NEED of helping hands sometimes with their own businesses, but not enough of an income to merit paying a salary. :)

I hope these help!
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:48:49 am »
hubby suggests "get pregnant again" LMAO

whatever you chose, i hope it works out wonderfully for you, your hubby and Blake :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:35:25 am »
Thanks everyone...you've got my mind a' churnin' here! ;)

Nicole...YES.. .we are super-lucky here in Canada to get a year off for mat leave. BUT (and that is a BIG "BUT")...it really screws us at tax time :P Let's put it this way...I am PAYING taxes OUT MY ARSE to the gov't (and I have no $ to pay them with!) so our line of credit is about to get racked! :D :D :D I shouldn't laugh, it's really not funny... :-X ;)

And Jo...our plan (should we be lucky enough one day) is to have another baby at some point...that's kind of what I'm debating on regarding working "under-the-table" or finding a "real" job... ??? ::) :P ;) If I work 600 hours within a year, if I were to get prego again...I would qualify for another mat leave (which is free money)... So, lots to think about! ;)

Let's keep those ideas coming, please! ;)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 05:42:28 am »
I don't know about your family but I noticed that when I wasn't working and hubby was when weekends rolled around he had so many things to do like mow the lawn, some of the heavy cleaning I don't do, home repair etc. that on the weekend I was still in charge of the baby and he was doing what he had to...so I went and got a job on Saturdays - it was time he was forced to spend with baby then toddler and so on - they mowed the lawn together (fisher price bubble mower), helped dad garden etc.

I went to retail (I am a certified teacher) it didn't pay well but it got me out of the house; also if you work in a store you like you get a discound..that may be a bad thing I worked in a fancy boutique and spend more than I earned.

I applaud your decision to stay home (at least part of the time).  It is great if you can do it financially.  My friend does the books for several McDonalds restaurants from home - but it took a while to get the clients.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:30:09 am »
AMEN To the 1 year mat leave sista...GO CANADA!! Sorry a litte Patriotism there!!
I have a friend how sells Epicure...its a spice store basically. It all natural not salts or surgars. It is GREAT stuff... It makes EVERYTHING tasty. You can make dips spreads spice chicken it comes in a kibillon different selections...a nyways you would think I sell it. I just love it thats all  :-*
Depends on your schedual when you want to book your shows. She does in home child care and sells Epicure.  she makes quite a bit of money and she gets paid that night of the show... she goes home plunks herself infront of her computer enters her orders and bingo the money goes into her bank....she gets 200 a night for a show plus (i think) some sort of commission if she books another show or something. She once told me she had 3 shows a in a week all about on advarage 2-3 hours and she made close to 500 dollars in a week!
Anways my point... I do have one.... there are soooo many options you have dont give up! You will find something.
Again sorry If i sounded like i was soliciting I was just trying to give as much info as possible...and I will shut up know!  :-X
Hope you find something soon!! Good Luck!!

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 06:52:28 am »
 I was going to suggest doing a day-care type of situation
with another child, or how about getting a part time job at night?  A very good friend of mine had 2 boys 3 months apart (yeah someone told her you couldn't get pregnant while nursing!)  Anyway, she worked her job during the day, and her husband worked late shift (till like 3 am) and the rest of the time they both looked after the kids.  They could not afford babysitters, and I only sat occasionally when she really
needed the help.
Good for you for wanting to stay home!!
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 05:16:20 pm »
Not sure if this is in canada, but one of my posters posted this the other day and it looks like a great place to work! She makes about 27 an hour and sets her own hours.

https://www.stayingconnected.com/main.jsp

Apply online, doing instore promotions. Pay ranges from 70 - 85 per 5 hour event depending on where you live. If are licensed hairstylist, chef, bi-lingual etc make sure that is known. I make 27 an hour for the makeup events.

It is fun for me as I am a people person. You need own m/w, elect skillet, toaster oven for cooking events, but they pay you for those (tax free). They do offer non cooking events also. Book yourself online when you want to work by zip code and radius you want.

So if someone is a self worker and can work with out supervision they are good to go. Need internet, email, computer/printer to book, print instructions and report results.

k2campbell

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 07:59:20 am »
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions, you have expressed some REALLY good ideas that I’m going to look into further  ;) I appreciate it! ;D

I should clarify something I didn’t mention earlier…and that is that I also am my Mom’s personal directive/legal guardian and (therefore) can’t work more than 2 days a week out of home, maybe 2-3 days a week from home. I am busy with her at least 2 days a week (Blake tags along with me visiting her, or she is here at our place). So that takes running a dayhome/taking in some before/after school kids out of my options unfortunately. I would LOVE to look after kids though! ;)

Some comments to your suggestions. I think (if I could get some business) that the dog walking thing could work (maybe)?  ??? Reason being it’s not-so-much certain (exact) hours. I could also bring Blake along on some walks (with smaller/single dogs). I could get one of those child carriers/backpack type of things, might actually be quite fun for him! ;)

Epicure is a great product (as you’ve stated Apreston) but believe it or not I have 3 friends that sell the stuff already, so trying to get anyone to come to an Epicure party I would hold would (unfortunately) just not happen. ::) Having said that though, I am looking into other “at-home-party” types of businesses out there. Problem is (for me) that almost all of my friends are already doing them, so it makes it tough! :P

Holly I have some skills that could prove useful regarding the suggestions you have made. I ESPECIALLY like your suggestion on transcription. I’m a good typer and have done this before at one of my previous jobs SO, it could work! ;)

Sarah (tobeysmum) GREAT suggestion, however it just wouldn’t work for my profession. I’m a Project Manager in the Oil & Gas sector out here and projects take up an INSANE amount of time from start-up to completion. I could be hired as a contractor on one but there’s NO WAY I could only work 2-3 days a week. Once projects are under way…they are an 8hr+ a day job that would require me to work AT LEAST 5 days a week (not to mention overtime). Great suggestion though, maybe it could work for me in another industry (but not in what I do unfortunately)… :-\ ;)

For those of you who have commented on the positive side regarding me wanting to stay home the majority of the time with Blake… thank-you! ;D There is NOTHING I’d rather do. I have been EXTREMELY fortunate with my career up until now, I did really well for myself. Having said that though, I am (well…already have) more than prepared to give up A LOT in order to stay home for my baby boy. We’ve already cut a lot out…it was tough, not going to lie BUT I didn’t even think twice about it! Eric is having a bit of a tougher time than me, but he’s come a long way and I know he’ll only become more comfortable with it in time...  ;)

We were never really frivolous spenders before but now (for example) we have given ourselves a $40 allowance each per pay period. It doesn’t matter what we use it on…but once we use it, it’s gone! Mine goes towards the occasional Starbucks, or a fun new toy for Blake  ;D ;)

We are SO happy though to come to this decision, so we both know we’re making the right choice! ;) Blake is the love of my life and I am no longer a career-oriented person since having him (not to downgrade anyone that is) but for me, that’s the way it’s going to be!  ;D Plus, I don’t know what Kate would do if I returned to work full-time after having me home for a year, she’d probably destroy the place (LOL)!!! :D :D :D ;)

PLEASE keep the suggestions coming…I need all the help I can get! ;)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 12:25:50 pm »
I don't have any suggestions for employment - except maybe e bay? That's lame, but it might be something. You could use part of your $40 to scout out yard sales and thrift shops, and if you find a great deal resell it on ebay. I had a friend that did that and she did well, but it kind of seemed like a hassle to me. I finally quit work after I had my last kid and it has been over two years already. I LOVE it, but it's really important to stay connected to friends and other adults. Make sure you get to get out without the baby and have time with other adults! And, enjoy every single minute of your son! I have been both a working mom and a stay at home mom. All my kids are awesome, and my daycare kids didn't "suffer" in the least from me working. Personally, though, I love being able to not work. And, you can save money in creative ways if you really take a look at your expenses. Things like cell phone plans (lower the minutes), cable bill (cut premium channels) - even adjusting your thermostat by just a degree or two can lower your power bill significantly. Oh, I used to live near a nice consignment shop where I could take my kids outgrown clothes and toys and get store credit for "new" (used) stuff. You will make it work! Good luck!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python